starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: whey selection

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harlin View Post
    Any idea what your price point will be for gram of protein? I mean, I'm not cheap (I prefer frugal), and I love myself but...

stuff even as common as ON can be pretty pricey and if I recall they have had some bad lab test results (though I'm not sure of the objectivity of the study group). Isagenix is such a fucking rip off I laughed when my wife bought some on the advice of her dermatologist, and pointed out that she was paying a shit ton of money for something that she could approximate with whey and psyllium husk powder for a considerable savings.
    Idk if I would choose my protein on price per gram of protein, rather I would look at the protein source and BCAA content per serving. So, basically I wanted a serving size to be 20g of whey with 3g leucine, 1.5g isoleucine and 1.5g valine. I think it'll work out to be 1.50 a serving or so. If it had 32g protein per serving it'd be cheaper per g protein, but maybe not have the same amount of BCAA considering you can sub in other amino acids for BCAA and pump the protein gram count up

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Idk if I would choose my protein on price per gram of protein, rather I would look at the protein source and BCAA content per serving. So, basically I wanted a serving size to be 20g of whey with 3g leucine, 1.5g isoleucine and 1.5g valine. I think it'll work out to be 1.50 a serving or so. If it had 32g protein per serving it'd be cheaper per g protein, but maybe not have the same amount of BCAA considering you can sub in other amino acids for BCAA and pump the protein gram count up
    You could do one with 32g per serving, but market that as like "perfectly compliments with" with your GainzZz supplement since that's got BCAA's. Have a package deal at a 10% 15% discount if you buy both. lol idk

Are you thinking along the lines of like a 2lb tub with roughly 30 servings or so?

Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    You could do one with 32g per serving, but market that as like "perfectly compliments with" with your GainzZz supplement since that's got BCAA's. Have a package deal at a 10% 15% discount if you buy both. lol idk

Are you thinking along the lines of like a 2lb tub with roughly 30 servings or so?
    IMO that would be unethical, as a protein supplement with any amount of protein devoid of BCAAs is useless.

Yea it'll be a 30 serving container, Amazon distributing, with auto ship.

IMO that would be unethical, as a protein supplement with any amount of protein devoid of BCAAs is useless.
    Ah. Indeed. Did not know that.

Yea it'll be a 30 serving container, Amazon distributing, with auto ship.
    Sahweeeeet

Fyi, since I noticed you get asked a lot about about myprotein on your live IGs: myprotein whey isolate unflavoured has 2g leucine per 25g serving according to their website. (The flavoured versions likely have less, particularly the ones that require a lot of additional ingredients).

Interestingly the french version of the same page doesn't disclose leucine but states the following:

47 % de bêta-lactoglobuline, 17 % d'alpha-lactalbumine, 1,5 % d'albumine de sérum bovin, 2 % d'immunoglobuline G, 0,5 % de lactoferrine, 27 % de glycomacropeptide.

I have no idea what this means or how to translate it though.

PS: I just noticed the leucine information comes from the UK version. The same page when delivery/language is set to US doesn't disclose anything.

I've been using ON, because I thought they were pretty solid. Plus it is $60 for a 90 serving bag from Costco. I guess I'll have to look into the product a little closer.

Will you consider larger bags in the future? 30 servings isn't a whole lot for me. I struggle to get enough protein from food sources. I'm usually using ~2 servings per day. Plus my wife has a serving most days too. One of these wouldn't even last two weeks. Plus, I'm assuming packaging would add to the cost when limiting the servings vs a larger bag with a lot more servings.

I purchased 10 lbs of New World Nutritionals Low-Carb 100% Natural Whey Isolate for $99 in February, its available on amazon for $105. Its packaged in 2.5lb heavy zip-lock style bags. The nutrition facts are available on amazon. Although leucine is misspelled lousine, if the facts are correct it looks ok. I'm always open to try a better and less costly alternative. It mixes well and tastes ok. I mix it with a little milk, lots of ice, one or two of the following - banana, mango, papaya, strawberries, blueberries, and some spinach or kale, peanut butter or peanut butter dehydrated powder, and a raw egg or two. I know I'm hitting close to 50 grams protein per 48 oz drink. I try to drink it earlier in the day so I'm not getting up to pee 3-4 times per night.

Quote Originally Posted by kanahan View Post
    Fyi, since I noticed you get asked a lot about about myprotein on your live IGs: myprotein whey isolate unflavoured has 2g leucine per 25g serving according to their website. (The flavoured versions likely have less, particularly the ones that require a lot of additional ingredients).

Interestingly the french version of the same page doesn't disclose leucine but states the following:

47 % de bêta-lactoglobuline, 17 % d'alpha-lactalbumine, 1,5 % d'albumine de sérum bovin, 2 % d'immunoglobuline G, 0,5 % de lactoferrine, 27 % de glycomacropeptide.

I have no idea what this means or how to translate it though.
    Sounds like it's 47% beta lactalbumin (leucine containing globulin), 1.5% bovine serum albumin, 2% IgG, 0.5% lactoferrin, and 27% i have no idea. But yea, 2g leucine per 25g pro is about the average I've seen regardless of price point.

Quote Originally Posted by schmatt View Post
    I've been using ON, because I thought they were pretty solid. Plus it is $60 for a 90 serving bag from Costco. I guess I'll have to look into the product a little closer.
    Yea I like ON, in general. I think the leucine content is pretty substantial.

Will you consider larger bags in the future? 30 servings isn't a whole lot for me. I struggle to get enough protein from food sources. I'm usually using ~2 servings per day. Plus my wife has a serving most days too. One of these wouldn't even last two weeks. Plus, I'm assuming packaging would add to the cost when limiting the servings vs a larger bag with a lot more servings.
    Yea I will for sure, but the problem is more of a business one than a strategic move. So, let's say I buy 1000 units from the manufacturer- that's ~20k (ballpark) for a single size, single flavor. In order to keep that in stock I'll need to have a good amount of liquid capital in addition to revenue to keep production rolling for the single size whereas if I had two sizes or multiple flavors, I'd need even more. It's strange to me that the mfg won't let me buy the stuff "per lb" but rather per unit. In any event, I'll be planning on expanding operations if it's successful

starting strength coach development program
    Yea I will for sure, but the problem is more of a business one than a strategic move. So, let's say I buy 1000 units from the manufacturer- that's ~20k (ballpark) for a single size, single flavor. In order to keep that in stock I'll need to have a good amount of liquid capital in addition to revenue to keep production rolling for the single size whereas if I had two sizes or multiple flavors, I'd need even more. It's strange to me that the mfg won't let me buy the stuff "per lb" but rather per unit. In any event, I'll be planning on expanding operations if it's successful
    My wife recently started working for a contract supplement manufacturer (on the finance side) if you're looking for additional quotes and/or flexibility. I'm sure she'd be happy to put you in touch with her favorite salesperson.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast