starting strength gym

Thread: Diet with mixed training plan?

Default Diet with mixed training plan?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Jordan,

in the following two months I want to lose between 5 to 7 kg bodyweight. I am 40 years old, 1.86m tall and weigh 102.8kg.
    Since January I followed the novice LP and made good progress on the deadlift from 40kg to about 100kg. A few weeks ago
    I changed from low bar squat to high bar squat and progressed from 20kg to 50kg. OHP progression was from 10kg to 23kg,
    and stalled for the last three weeks. I only bench pressed twice in those 3 months. My daily intake of ca. 3800 kcal per day
    (with only two training days per week) did not match the low training intensity, and I gained so much weight that most of my
    clothes don't fit anymore.

I drew up a diet plan with 1800 kcal/day (200g protein, 180g carbs, 31g fat), which should result in a daily loss of 600 to 1000
    kcal.

In a another post here, I read that you recommend Baker's KISS template when training on a diet. While the small increments
    of 2% make sense for my DL, in my view it would not make sense for the other lifts, considering the low weights. Should I apply
    the KISS template nonetheless or continue the novice LP for the lifts except the DL? Training frequency would remain twice a week.

Thanks in advance!

I would only recommend the KISS template if cals are significantly restricted, which it seems like you're trying to do. It also seems like there are some issues compromising your progression given your demographic information.

Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminFeldman View Post
    Hi Jordan,
    A few weeks ago I changed from low bar squat to high bar squat and progressed from 20kg to 50kg. OHP progression was from 10kg to 23kg,
    and stalled for the last three weeks. !
    LP since January but you are at a 50 kg squat? Something seems wrong there. And how did you OHP 10 kg? Bars are 20 kg themselves. I could see it if you were 50 kg body weight but at 100+ that seems....odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    LP since January but you are at a 50 kg squat? Something seems wrong there. And how did you OHP 10 kg? Bars are 20 kg themselves. I could see it if you were 50 kg body weight but at 100+ that seems....odd.
    There is a chance he has access to a training bar, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    I changed from low bar squat to high bar squat just a few weeks ago due to my lack of shoulder mobility. When changing to high bar squat, I initially progressed from 20kg to 35kg in 5kg increments,
    and since then in 2.5kg increments. As for the OHP, I indeed began with a 10kg training bar. I know that these weights are quite low, but proper form was and is my first priority. A goal which is not easy to achieve if you don't have immediate feedback from a trainer.