starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWO Meal Fat Content - Why? Just for fatties?

Default PWO Meal Fat Content - Why? Just for fatties?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Jordan - looking to better understand TBAB advice:

• Why limit meals to <20g of fat pre/post workout? Is this specific advice for an overweight lifter looking to recomp?
    • Any negative consequences of increasing carb load around the lift beyond the 30-40% suggested?
    • Does the advice change if it's the first meal of the day after waking up? (Notice I feel foggy with less than 30-40g fat in my first meal)

I had some questions about BCAAs, but you answered them all here. Gotta love that search function.

Hey Coleossus,

1) Slowed gastric emptying if significant fat content OR gastric dumping if very high lipid content.
    2) Since carbs will/should be higher peri workout, other energy sources can be preserved for other meals that will, by definition, have less carbs.
    3) Having 100% of your carbs pre and post workout does not improve anything and does not support optimal recovery.
    4) No. 30-40g fat in a meal is too much for 99% of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    4) No. 30-40g fat in a meal is too much for 99% of people.
    Not trying to thread jack, but my current caloric intake is 4500/day, macros 153/531/250 (F/C/P). This mean that roughly 30% of my cals are from fat. On days that I lift, I have to load all that fat over my last 2 meals. If I'm supposed to go low fat the meals before and after lifting, and I'm not supposed to get more than 30g of fat in a meal, then that allows for less than 80g of fat a day, which is less than TBAB macros for a 200lb male gaining muscle while eating 3400 cals/day (which is way less than my 4500/day).

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Not trying to thread jack, but my current caloric intake is 4500/day, macros 153/531/250 (F/C/P). This mean that roughly 30% of my cals are from fat. On days that I lift, I have to load all that fat over my last 2 meals. If I'm supposed to go low fat the meals before and after lifting, and I'm not supposed to get more than 30g of fat in a meal, then that allows for less than 80g of fat a day, which is less than TBAB macros for a 200lb male gaining muscle while eating 3400 cals/day (which is way less than my 4500/day).
    I would eat more meals, and I think your fat content is too high as well. When cals are high, sometimes we have to bend the rec's a bit, but that's also why I allowed for the 1%

I would eat more meals, and I think your fat content is too high as well. When cals are high, sometimes we have to bend the rec's a bit, but that's also why I allowed for the 1%
    Hmmm, not sure how to fit in more than 4 meals a day. Breakfast at 8:30, lunch at noon, dinner at 5, second dinner at 9:30. Maybe I could try to eat lunch slightly earlier, have a big mid-afternoon snack, and then push dinner back to 5:30. But this won't be doable once school starts up again in the fall. In the meantime, I'll see about adjusting my macros so I have a little more carbs and a little less fat. I'm guessing you wouldn't approve if the extra carbs I add came from sour candy :P

You could eat at 7/10/1/4/7/10.... Probably not very fun to do that, but yeah if you need that much fat to drive your weight up then you are part of the 1%.

You could eat at 7/10/1/4/7/10.... Probably not very fun to do that, but yeah if you need that much fat to drive your weight up then you are part of the 1%.
    Is the other option to just shift some fat cals to carbs? I'm guessing at 250g protein you wouldn't add anything there.

What is the problem with 30g of fat in a meal? A 5 egg omelette has more fat than that.

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    Is the other option to just shift some fat cals to carbs? I'm guessing at 250g protein you wouldn't add anything there.
    You could, but I don't think he needs to. Just like I said, most people have no business eating that much fat per meal. 1 meal of the day? Sure, most/all meals? That's like 120-150g of fat per day and for all but the 1% that's probably too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke S View Post
    What is the problem with 30g of fat in a meal? A 5 egg omelette has more fat than that.
    It's not the 1 meal thing, it's all meals, which was my point. I see no reason that most people need to eat that much fat.

starting strength coach development program

It's not the 1 meal thing, it's all meals, which was my point. I see no reason that most people need to eat that much fat.
    Anecdotally, I have observed that when I get less than 30g of fat in a meal I'm ready to eat again in 3 hours. If I get a ton of fat in one meal, it could be 4-5 hours before I can shove food down my throat again. Is this all in my head Jordan, or is there a "scientific" explanation for this?

Oh, and I've rearranged my eating schedule to allow for 5 meals/day, we'll see if I can keep this up once school starts again. Getting kind of sick of eating 4500 cals/day, and still haven't gotten above 200lb yet.

The next meal today is poached eggs, pancakes, lots of Costco bacon, butter, syrup, cantaloupe, apple juice and whey. Mmmm, tasty fats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast