starting strength gym

Thread: Beginner Checking for Understanding

Default Beginner Checking for Understanding

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm a 39 y/o Male. 5' 9", 197lbs with no known medical issues. Outside of getting under the bar, daily life is office-work filled with sitting on my butt. My goal is to live a long, healthy and strong life. I have no aspirations to be a swimsuit model, body builder or win any lifting competitions. I have read To Be A Beast, SSBBT, Practical Programming, The first 3 questions, A Clarification and everything else that seems relevant. As I continue deeper into LP than I've ever been before, it seems like a good time to make sure that I'm doing things right before I hit any stalls that I could have avoided.

My current measurements in a fully relaxed state.
    Waist: 43" (fully relaxed gut, at the umbilicus)
    Chest: 42.5"
    Bicep: 14.5"
    Thigh: 24.25"
    Calf: 17"

Lifts after 8 Weeks (lost 1.5 weeks to flu and a nasty cold):
    Squat: 135->220 lbs
    Press: 2.0: 85->106 lbs
    Dead: 200->265 lbs (should be higher, but shoulder pain held me back for a bit)

Based on "To be a Beast", my perceived body fat % and "A Clarification", I started the "Male 200lbs Recomp" diet.

While I've struggled to hit my macros and calorie intake levels (usually 1900kcal / 175g Protein), I'm getting closer every week. So far, over those 8 weeks, my weight has only fluctuated +/- 2lbs on any given morning. I neglected to measure my body before I got started, but any visible changes in my relaxed physique are minimal so far.

It seems like I should be good to go for a long while if I can hit the recomp level diet and end up at a weight of about 205lbs or so.

Do you see any red flags so far? Let me know if you need any more data.

A few things, Brewin:

1) I would never recommend measuring the relaxed gut. Rather, stand up straight but don't suck in. Then measure around the umbilicus.
    2) Sounds like you're just starting on the LP. Keep going.
    3) Sounds like you're pretty low on the protein here and given that we're not close really, I'm not sure I'd adjust macros or cals here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    1) I would never recommend measuring the relaxed gut. Rather, stand up straight but don't suck in. Then measure around the umbilicus.
    What is the difference between "relaxed" and "don't suck in"? Are you taking "relaxed" to mean slouching vs standing up straight?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    A few things, Brewin:

3) Sounds like you're pretty low on the protein here and given that we're not close really, I'm not sure I'd adjust macros or cals here.
    Thanks for your time Jordan;

My 'non-relaxed' but not sucked in waist is 42"

On point 3, do you mean that since I'm far away from hitting the "200lb recomp" levels, I should keep striving (maybe even push harder) towards it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    What is the difference between "relaxed" and "don't suck in"? Are you taking "relaxed" to mean slouching vs standing up straight?
    The latter.

Quote Originally Posted by BrewinBombers View Post
    Thanks for your time Jordan;

My 'non-relaxed' but not sucked in waist is 42"

On point 3, do you mean that since I'm far away from hitting the "200lb recomp" levels, I should keep striving (maybe even push harder) towards it?
    Yessir- just do it.