starting strength gym

Thread: Questions about your intermediate program

Default Questions about your intermediate program

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Jordan,

I got a couple questions if you don't mind.

1. What about upper back training? (pull ups, chins, rows). If I include them, on what days?
    2. Is there even a little chance my press would improve, when it got weaker during the last 2 months on SS? (and SS has you doing more frequent pressing than your intermediate program). I want to maximize bench gains. But the press should improve at least a little too (not regressing).
    3. When doing 5's on squats and deads the first rep already feels like an RPE 8. I still manage to complete my sets... Basically I perceive it much heavier than it actually is and much slower than it looks on camera. How relevant ist RPE to the program? Should Volume be changed if I constantly hit my first sets @9 or @10 (not how heavy it is, but how heavy it feels to me)?
    4. I'm not a powerlifter. What is a "competition style bench press"? Wide grip, big arch and short pause? What should my bench on wednesday look like?

1) Did you read the article or just look at the program?
    2) Yes
    3) Very relevant. Not explicitly, No.
    4) A paused bench press using the same grip you're using now.

About question 3:
    How would that work with less frequency? During the last 3 months my squat increased by 44lbs, while my ohp went down by like 15 lbs or so. Why is this happening? I literally am experiencing a linear regression on ohp despite weight gain and progression on all other lifts. Is it possible that I'm a special snowflake?

Quote Originally Posted by zar9star View Post
    About question 3:
    How would that work with less frequency? During the last 3 months my squat increased by 44lbs, while my ohp went down by like 15 lbs or so. Why is this happening? I literally am experiencing a linear regression on ohp despite weight gain and progression on all other lifts. Is it possible that I'm a special snowflake?
    I'm not sure what you're asking. It sounds like you're not pressing enough or only pressing while signifciantly fatigued.

Quote Originally Posted by zar9star View Post
    About question 3:
    This happened to me when but realized I was leaving my ohp training to the end of my training session. So I tried coming in and training ohp on a day previously scheduled to be a rest day. I went as heavy as I could and I started making progress again. So,maybe try that,or try putting it before your heavy dl and squats?

Stupid question, but in the newsletter, "Phase 2" consists of week 1, weeks 3-4, and week 5. Was the intent for the week 1 to actually be 1 and 2, or should weeks 3-4 really be 2-4? I'm guessing the latter, but thought I'd ask. I'm planning on giving the full program a run and see how it goes. Thanks for all of the great info.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tygerqb12 View Post
    Stupid question, but in the newsletter, "Phase 2" consists of week 1, weeks 3-4, and week 5. Was the intent for the week 1 to actually be 1 and 2, or should weeks 3-4 really be 2-4? I'm guessing the latter, but thought I'd ask. I'm planning on giving the full program a run and see how it goes. Thanks for all of the great info.
    "Weeks 3-4" should be "2-4". Oops!