starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: getting stronger at the same weight (hear me out)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Because my thinking was that by the time I reach 140kg squat I should be at the end of Linear but around 120kg now and it's hard. How do I push on past this without getting really fat?

Quote Originally Posted by Tate1981 View Post
    Hi Jordan, can you help. I'm stuck on what macros / calories I need to be be consuming here. 196lbs'ish, 5' 10" 36 with quite a physical job and body fat of around 20% (possibly higher). It's not a good look anyway. Been trying to rein in fat but to be honest I think I'm putting on more fat. Got past 120kg squat for 3 x 5 but 122.5kg I didn't even get 1rep. Broke at the hips and it wasn't going. Managed to Dealift 140kg for 5 and felt ok but I think that will stall soon. Long story short, I've been consuming 3,500cals and about 250/400/100. Are those calories/macros way to high. My TDEE says 2900cals but again not sure how accurate that is. I really want to progress but I don't know if I eat more I get very fat, eat less stall further??? Any help please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tate1981 View Post
    Because my thinking was that by the time I reach 140kg squat I should be at the end of Linear but around 120kg now and it's hard. How do I push on past this without getting really fat?

The macros aren't too far off, but it depends what your weight has been doing, how your form is, how your rest periods are, and what the rest of your recovery components look like. 120 is going to feel heavy if it's the heaviest you've ever lifted, but that doesn't mean you can't keep going. Failing to get 122 x 1 rep after a successful 3 x 5 doesn't sound plausible, however.

Jordan, he says his job is quite physical. I wonder if maybe he's underestimating his nutritional support and recovery needs by not accounting for the demands of his job? Maybe titrate calories up and/or switch lifting to one on/two off and see what happens?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Thomson View Post
    Jordan, he says his job is quite physical. I wonder if maybe he's underestimating his nutritional support and recovery needs by not accounting for the demands of his job? Maybe titrate calories up and/or switch lifting to one on/two off and see what happens?
    If he's not losing weight it's unlikely that he's underestimating his nutritional support needed. Plus we get used to our daily work requirements, kind of like the mail man effect you know?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12