starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting stronger at the same weight (hear me out)

Default getting stronger at the same weight (hear me out)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Jordan, you've discussed reaching a point where you can't get stronger at a certain body weight and you'll know it when you simply stop getting stronger at that weight. I suppose this assumes your body fat percentage is relatively low, right? Because if I'm say, 181 but 25 percent body fat and my strength gains have stopped, I could conceivably lose fat and gain muscle (not necessarily at the same time) and be stronger at 181, correct?

This means you're well trained, regardless of body composition.

Hi Jordan. I'm at about the fluffy Novice stage you mention in To Be A Beast. Weighing 198lbs, around 19-20% bf and looking to rein in on some fat while continuing to get bigger/stronger. Squat is getting very heavy at 120kg and starting to miss reps. My question is does my diet look ok to push on through? My goal is to try achieve 140kg squat before moving to Intermediate

Breakfast 05:30am
    100g porridge, 250ml 2% milk, 25g Whey, 50g peanut butter, raisins, banana, glass OJ.
    Snack 09:00am
    3 boiled egg sandwich + apple
    Lunch 11:30am
    2 cups white rice, 120g chcken breast (cooked weight), bag of steamed veg
    Snack 13:30
    Tuna sandwich + pear
    Gym 16:00-17:30
    Dinner 18:30
    Spaghetti Bolognese + bread

Sorry it's long winded, according to MyFitnessPal macros are roughly 250/430/100 3,500cals.

Thanks, appreciate any feedback.

You're 200lbs and missing sets of 5 at 120kg on the squat?

196lbs - a few workouts ago it felt heavy to Squat but last nights workout at 122kg 5 x 3 felt good. Overhead press is stuck at 50kg and now requires first deload. Does the daily eating look ok to progress ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Female intermediate maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Tate1981 View Post
    {snip} My goal is to try achieve 140kg squat before moving to Intermediate {/snip}
    Why isn't your goal to exhaust linear progression before moving to Intermediate vs an arbitrary number?

This means you're well trained, regardless of body composition.
    How long do you think it would take the average 35 year old male to become this well trained using relatively intelligent programming?

Hi Jordan, can you help. I'm stuck on what macros / calories I need to be be consuming here. 196lbs'ish, 5' 10" 36 with quite a physical job and body fat of around 20% (possibly higher). It's not a good look anyway. Been trying to rein in fat but to be honest I think I'm putting on more fat. Got past 120kg squat for 3 x 5 but 122.5kg I didn't even get 1rep. Broke at the hips and it wasn't going. Managed to Dealift 140kg for 5 and felt ok but I think that will stall soon. Long story short, I've been consuming 3,500cals and about 250/400/100. Are those calories/macros way to high. My TDEE says 2900cals but again not sure how accurate that is. I really want to progress but I don't know if I eat more I get very fat, eat less stall further??? Any help please!

starting strength coach development program
    I'll venture a guess that he is either a masters lifter, wrong about bf%, or underrecovered (not sleeping), or a combination. No sleep is a killer after 40.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast