starting strength gym

Thread: decreased calories seems to IMPROVE performance?

Default decreased calories seems to IMPROVE performance?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Jordan, I'm struggling with frequent cycles of binge eating. My reward centers are screwed up when it comes to food and I'm working on that. Anyway, to the point: can binge eating (say 1500 to 2000 calories over maintenance) decrease performance? When I cut calories back to small deficit levels I sometimes notice an INCREASE in performance. I feel better and my caffeine seems to hit me harder and I lift more weight when I first cut calories back. This seems like a stupid question with an obvious answer now that I've typed it out but I'm going with it. Won't be offended if you skip it.

It has been my experience that most of the time when people go crazy and binge, their performance suffers the day immediately after. What's the mechanism outside of changing leverages from bloating? I'm not sure.

Okay, so I'm not alone. Just my own n=1 hypothesis: Caffeine doesn't hit me as hard for the same dose and even if I adjust my belt to a larger size, the presence of bloat seems to make my bracing less effective, as if there's a pillow between my abs and the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by synnfusion View Post
    Okay, so I'm not alone. Just my own n=1 hypothesis: Caffeine doesn't hit me as hard for the same dose and even if I adjust my belt to a larger size, the presence of bloat seems to make my bracing less effective, as if there's a pillow between my abs and the belt.
    I think people are just sluggish tbh.

Yep. That.