starting strength gym

Thread: Visceral fat vs other fat...

Default Visceral fat vs other fat...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,
    I had one of those (inaccurate, I suppose) body composition analysis, as it was a free demonstration. So, it turns out I have a BF% of 16.5 according to that, and, based on measurements it estimated that mostly this is visceral fat. This agrees with the perception, in that I seem to have very little bodyfat anywhere else, just in my gut.

I had recently lost some weight, not much, but at the time of measuring, I was 84kg / 185lbs, down from about 195 a few months ago, not due to a deliberate attempt to cut weight but just a hiatus in eating. I tend to lose weight unless I deliberately eat more, and at 185cm / 6'1ish I realize I am still / again a bit underweight in a sense. I was thinking of starting to gain muscle again a bit later, using the guidelines in TBAB, but this thing got me thinking. It seems I have a tendency to accumulate visceral fat, whereas when I lose weight, it looks as though it is much easier to lose any little subcutaneous fat I have.

Is this simply a matter of genetics and age (I am 41 in June) or is there anything one can do in terms of nutrition (or trainining), aside from just gaining weight more slowly, to not get all that fat in the gut?

Thanks.
    -h.

Genetics, age, environment, training, diet, etc. all can play a role. AFAIK, no specific dietary intervention that produces body fat loss selects for visceral vs peripheral body fat however.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Genetics, age, environment, training, diet, etc. all can play a role. AFAIK, no specific dietary intervention that produces body fat loss selects for visceral vs peripheral body fat however.
    I can see genetics and age playing a factor in how/where fat is deposited. What environmental conditions can play a role? I guess I don't understand what that means but I can't think of any either way. Ditto for training? That sounds like site specific exercise which I also thought was not possible, i.e. sit ups for reducing a belly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Are there any kind of cals/foods that tend to produce visceral fat? I'm similar to the OP in that the majority of my fat gain goes to my gut. Sure would be nice if it would spread out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    I can see genetics and age playing a factor in how/where fat is deposited. What environmental conditions can play a role? I guess I don't understand what that means but I can't think of any either way. Ditto for training? That sounds like site specific exercise which I also thought was not possible, i.e. sit ups for reducing a belly.
    Depends where you live, sun exposure, pollution, day to day life (is environment basically), and the type of training you expose yourself too most certainly has an effect on the internal milieu.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Are there any kind of cals/foods that tend to produce visceral fat? I'm similar to the OP in that the majority of my fat gain goes to my gut. Sure would be nice if it would spread out a bit.
    HFCS containing things.