starting strength gym

Thread: strength training template

Default strength training template

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan,

I purchased and am currently using your 12 week strength program. I set new PRs in the squat (460) and press (245) on the test week of the first cycle so thanks for the template. I have never dealt with this amount of volume because I've been sharpening my claws with the 5-3-1 for years son. I much regret the loss of potential there. You don't know what you don't know...ya know?

32 y/o male
    218 lbs of white dynamite 5'10
    eat well (a lot anyway), sleep well, no major life stress, hx of central sleep apnea, hate cpap, not currently using but not drowsy during the day
    ER nurse work days
    happily married with 4 small children
    Actual training for about 8-9 years before that just bro stuff

Squat 460
    Bench 420
    DL 550
    Press 245

Anyway, my questions are regarding the AMRAP sets for both bb rows and rdls.

1.) I use the 3 days per week template. When I go to do the rows my back feels very weak and fatigued and I am unable to complete the sets productively due to an inability to hold my back in extension. It doesn't necessarily hurt but feels weak and uncomfortable. I have been doing db rows in its place without difficulty. I will continue to do that if you approve.

2.) Should I set a goal number for the number of reps on amrap stuff?

3.) And lastly, when I do the RDLs i have no pain during the actual exercise and it feels as if I could do RDLs all day, however the next day I have minor discomfort in the r lower back in the area of the si joint and pain in the r posterior-lateral hip about 1/3 of the way up the rom when I am squatting.

I have no symptoms when squatting heavy, rack pulling or deadlifting from the floor.

Thank you for answering my question.
    I greatly appreciate the resources and content that your company produces. I am applying to nurse practitioner school in the fall and dream of working in the type of clinical environment that you are espousing and developing. Thanks for carrying the torch.[/QUOTE]

Blurple,

1) I would just lighten the weight and do pendlay rows. Training the back to stay in extension under load is a worthy goal, IMO.

2) Just more reps than the week before.

3) I would make sure you're not in overextension here.

I would like to know the secret to how the heck this guy has 4 small children and sleeps well.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    I would like to know the secret to how the heck this guy has 4 small children and sleeps well.
    They are 10, 9, 7, and 5 so they sleep like a boss now thankfully. There were plenty of times when I did not sleep well, trust me. I don't remember like 2 years in there somewhere but it was well worth it.