starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TBAB - Skinny Novice: Measured

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    At 15% body fat and that ht/wt, that's bigger than anyone who has ever posted on this board. Ever.
    Please tell me you're being sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
    "Making PR's on squat (300x3), bench (190x5) and deadlift (365x1) every week"

Greatest decision I ever made was listen. Focus on getting to numbers at least 1.5x that over the next few months while managing your intake, you will find that the rest of it just comes. Except abs man, ungoal that shit asap.
    Did I mention abs? Are abs even visible at 15% bodyfat? I used to have abs when I was a skinny 130lb, but I've given up on ever seeing them again.

Traps are the news abs, and they're visible no matter what you're wearing.

Your approach should be to change your goal, since it is not possible to do that. Additionally 230lbs @ 15% BF would be monstrously huge. Really.

I would keep gaining weight unless you have a compelling reason not to right now.
    On the subject of unrealistic goals...

Quote Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
    "Making PR's on squat (300x3), bench (190x5) and deadlift (365x1) every week"

Greatest decision I ever made was listen. Focus on getting to numbers at least 1.5x that over the next few months while managing your intake, you will find that the rest of it just comes. Except abs man, ungoal that shit asap.
    Having tapped out his linear progression, at +5lb a week, he'd take 7 months to get to 1.5x of 300, and is wholly unlikely to meet the "at least 1.5x" goal you just set out for him in a "few months."

I know I'm bumping blindly into walls with my own programming and other limitations*, but with numbers not unlike his, I felt damn good about getting 1.12x on my squat in a "few months." (five) I wish I knew how far I am from my potential gains if I had the $ to have someone like Jordan coaching me directly rather than bumping along with my limited understanding of the books and SS/BBM/Andy Baker articles, but this seems like an unrealistic celling for what that could be.

*late 30's, only 50min for weekday workouts, no weekend squat rack, minor muscle motor idiocy/inathleticity...

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto View Post
    Please tell me you're being sarcastic.
    Who on this board carries more muscle than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Serack View Post
    On the subject of unrealistic goals...

Having tapped out his linear progression, at +5lb a week, he'd take 7 months to get to 1.5x of 300, and is wholly unlikely to meet the "at least 1.5x" goal you just set out for him in a "few months."

I know I'm bumping blindly into walls with my own programming and other limitations*, but with numbers not unlike his, I felt damn good about getting 1.12x on my squat in a "few months." (five) I wish I knew how far I am from my potential gains if I had the $ to have someone like Jordan coaching me directly rather than bumping along with my limited understanding of the books and SS/BBM/Andy Baker articles, but this seems like an unrealistic celling for what that could be.

*late 30's, only 50min for weekday workouts, no weekend squat rack, minor muscle motor idiocy/inathleticity...
    I see no reason why an intact male can't get to squatting 300 x 5 within a year of training.

I see no reason why an intact male can't get to squatting 300 x 5 within a year of training.
    My reading was that he was saying 1.5x of the weight 300b in a "few months", not the reps.

As for 300 x 5, within a year of training... I won't say that's unreasonable, but my own personal experience is that I still haven't managed... within 2 years... My latest LP retry capped out at 265x3x5, which is the 12% improvement from last fall's LP. Monday, I managed 280 for 2...

My reasons may not be good ones... but there are reasons in there somewhere, and they aren't lack of trying...

Matt Reynolds?

I think Manimal was suggesting that I should be able to increase my squat, bench, and deadlift weights by 50% over the next few months, which is extremely unrealistic. No way I'm going to go from squatting 300x3 to 450x3 in a few months, or move my deadlift from 365x1 to 550x1 in a few months. A few years, sure, but not a few months.

Additionally 230lbs @ 15% BF would be monstrously huge. Really.
    (...)
    I don't know. I just assume that there must be some people of this caliber here.
    I only know a few pictures of you and some other more prominent SSCs around here (Rip, Austin Baraki, Andy Baker, Matt Reynolds...). I don't know your or their height/weight numbers. I do know that you're much, much stronger than I am. I am 40 years old, been doing SS training for 10 months now (bodybuilding gym shit for two decades before that), and weigh ~215lbs at 6'1". I guesstimate my BF% to be between 15 and 20%, but I have no measurement - it's only losely based on the mirror, which tells me abs (including serratus ant. and obliquus ext.) and some separations in arms, chest, shoulders, legs etc. are visible. Now, I perceive myself as trained but not especially big or remotely close to "monstrously huge". If 230lbs were that, I'd only have to gain 15lbs while maintaing BF level (so, maybe 14lbs lean mass and a bit of fat). Then, I'm naturally skinny and non-athletic and had to fight hard for my weight gain (for example, I have 6.6 inch wrists at my height) I can't believe that there are no people on board who weigh a lousy 15lbs more than me, people who might be younger, more gifted in regard to strength sports, have started to train smarter at a younger age and would be a lot stronger than me.
    Know what I'm saying?

Additionally, I don't want to believe that I might be close to fulfilling my size potential

On the other hand, it makes me feel a little more proud about my achievements, so thank you

Now, I'll check on this "GainzZz Rx" Supplement, because Gainz is what I'm after still

PS: googling GainzZz Rx, I found pictures of one certain Mr. Feigenbaum in prime shape. If you were 6'1" tall with that build, you'd definitely be at least 230lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    I'd say he was under 15% a lot of the time and was more commonly 110 - 115 walking around, so that isn't a perfect comparison...but it's pretty good.
    Here's a good one. Ty Montgomery is like 6ft 220 right now. Probably under 15% but he's a fucking monster. Probably very few of us toiling on these boards in that ballpark.

Twitter

starting strength coach development program
    Andy Baker of KSC said he was 5'4" and 210 "with visible abs" (I interpret that as something like 10-12% BF) a couple years back. About the same amount of LBM as the figure you're referencing, but at nine inches shorter than the OP of this thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast