starting strength gym

Thread: Asking for a Friend...

Default Asking for a Friend...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan, so hopefully you get see this before Saturday as some advice here would be awesome. My younger brother has gained a lot of weight over the last few years, and is looking to get back in shape. He's coming over this weekend to pick up some equipment I'm not using anymore, and I have what will probably be one good chance to set him on a path that I wish I'd have known about when I was that heavy. Basically it sounds like he's interested in strength training, but thinks it has to wait until he does a bazillion miles on an elliptical and I don't want him to miss the same opportunity I did to get strong NOW.

Anyway, here are my questions:

26/M/6'/305
    Not Training
    Goal is fat loss, but getting back into playing amateur hockey is a motivator.

1) Plugged in his numbers based on TBAB to get a rough idea of his macros and it comes out 3486 cals 381P/305C/82F... is that honestly where you would start someone in his position or would you customize more aggressive macros for fat loss?

2) From a training perspective, outside of the novice LP what would you recommend he do/prioritize? I would think there needs to be some sort of cardio/conditioning involved.

3) Any awesome nuggets of wisdom you can impart on me that I can use to help him out and steer him down the right path? Our sibling history doesn't always make him the most receptive to my advice, but I honestly have his best interests in mind here.

Looking forward to what you have to say as your thoughts are always appreciated. Hope you have a good one boss!

I would not have him track macros- rather I would make sure he's training. I would direct him to resources (the Art of Manliness vids w Rip, The Book, etc), and tell him about the site. I would not try to have a come to Jesus talk with him or coach him unless he asks. If he asks about conditioning, I would recommend playing hockey/practice hockey- but just encourage him to train with barbells

Will do... the whole macros tracking might be a little overwhelming, good call... thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I would not try to have a come to Jesus talk with him
    You mean you wouldn't have him doing 20 rep squats?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke S View Post
    You mean you wouldn't have him doing 20 rep squats?
    That too.