starting strength gym

Thread: Too much weight gain too quickly?

Default Too much weight gain too quickly?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Starting weight (13th of May) = 104.8kg (a few days later I was down to 104.1kg)
    Weight from this morning (10th of June) = 115.1kg
    So yeah that's a little over 10kg in 28 days.

Age = 20
    Height = 6ft 5.5

From January to April I was floating around 108-110kg (except for a 2 week period where I went down to 104kg and came back up to 108ishkg). I went down to 104.8kg by mid May due to stress from exams.

My lifts are still pathetically weak but feel pretty easy:
    Squat = 110kg x 3 x 5
    Bench = 87.5kg x 3 x 5
    Press = 52.5kg x 3 x 5
    Deadlift = 132.5kg x 1 x 5

Was the big increase in weight over the last month down to me getting my appetite back and returning to my usual bodyweight?
    Have I put on too much too quickly?
    I eat a lot of carbs with low fat (100-110g per day, sometimes as low as 60g) and salt. Should I reduce my carbs and up my fat?
    Should I start following the TBAB Skinny novice measured?
    Am I just overthinking everything?

In terms of goals, I was going to play rugby from September but due to me being the most injury prone person on the planet and with the increase in workload from college, I decided against it.
    I'm hoping to finish my LP before September, run a cycle of HLM until ~XMas, maybe run Baker's 8-5-2 programme for a few months, then maybe do a cut while re running HLM. If I don't have the time to do 8-5-2, I'll probably just do another cycle of HLM.
    Basically - I want to keep gaining strength, weight and size for the foreseeable future without turning into a fat slob then, when my bodyfat becomes an issue, trim a bit of the fat away without losing too much strength.
    Is this goal even possible within the next year? Is this the correct approach? What bodyweight should I aim for? If I'm continuing to get stronger and put on size, I need to gain weight but with how heavy I am at the moment, how much weight should I be gaining per week?

Thanks for your help.

You did not gain too much weight, but I think you need to try and start training with some people who will push you or see a coach because as a 115kg guy, you should be lifting much more. The weights should feel roughly the same each session, i.e. kinda hard, but you are able to keep going up. I'm not sure if you're just underloading yourself or something, but I would be more aggressive on your loading intervals for a week or two until it gets difficult and then make small jumps.

I don't think the macros need to be adjusted.

I don't think I'd plan the rest of your year just yet.

I do think you will need to gain more weight for your height, but again we've got to get your strength going. We'll circle back around to body fat later.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    You did not gain too much weight, but I think you need to try and start training with some people who will push you or see a coach because as a 115kg guy, you should be lifting much more. The weights should feel roughly the same each session, i.e. kinda hard, but you are able to keep going up. I'm not sure if you're just underloading yourself or something, but I would be more aggressive on your loading intervals for a week or two until it gets difficult and then make small jumps.

I don't think the macros need to be adjusted.

I don't think I'd plan the rest of your year just yet.

I do think you will need to gain more weight for your height, but again we've got to get your strength going. We'll circle back around to body fat later.
    Thanks so much for the response.

Over a 4 week period before I got back to training properly, I had lost so much weight (mainly muscle due to studying at a desk for 12hrs+ per day) and detrained so badly that a 75kg squat was very tough and caused really bad DOMS the following day. So I decided to make 2 5kg jumps and have been making 2.5kg on my squat since I hit 85kg x 3 x 5. I've been conservative with my loading, especially since I'm doing high bar squats (I would much rather do low bar but injury, form issues, no coach etc prevent me doing it safely).
    So should I make a 3/4 5kg jumps on my squat then drop back to 2.5kg?
    Is this appropriate since I'm doing high bar, where there's less muscle mass involved making me weaker compared to low bar, so the progression should be handled a bit more conservatively?
    I apologise for being pedantic, I'm in uncharted territory at the moment with my squat as injury has prevented me to hitting a 100kg squat. I don't want to stall early, have form breakdown, get injured etc.

I'll probably make 2 2.5kg jumps for bench (considering how easy yesterday was) then go back to microloading and make 1 2.5kg jump for press as I have a history of shoulder injuries and my last session was slightly slower than what I was hoping for. Should I be a bit more aggressive with these lifts?

Again, thanks so much for your input.

You didn't lose that much muscle in 4 weeks, but you did become less trained. I would be making jumps that are consistent with your current strength levels such that you're getting good stimuli each session. I do not agree with your rationale re: high bar vs low bar.