starting strength gym

Thread: Protein Shake Foam?

Default Protein Shake Foam?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Jordan, thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule as a doctor, coach and GainZzZ TM guru to answer these forum questions

In an effort to cut down on bloating and discomfort, I've started to drink my protein shakes without the foam on top. Usually I'd get about 3 inches of foam after shaking my..shakes. So I just scoop it out and drink the cloudy protein water underneath. I haven't been able to find info about this online so I was hoping you could answer, does this foam contain most of the protein? Am I throwing away my protein by not drinking the foam? I usually have about a cup of foam left after I take it out if I mix two scoops of isolate with 250ml of water.

I'm not sure, but I would assume it contains some amount of protein that you could calculate based on the amount of fluid in the "foam" and the amount of protein that was mixed.

I've taken to stirring my protein when mixed with liquid to reduce foam.

I also quit adding the protein to my morning smoothie until all the other ingredients are thoroughly blended. It gets added at the end and then just a quick spin/stir in the blender. The foam formation has been reduced dramatically.

I don't like to drink the foam either. Some flavors foam more than others, even within the same brand. I either 1) wait 10 minutes for the foam to settle, or 2) Make it some time earlier so i can drink it right away when I am ready.

What whey are you guys using that it foams? I've tried a bunch of different brands and never come across this problem... like ever...

starting strength coach development program
    If it's just whey isolate, I find it will dissolve in water without any blending at all, except maybe a few lumps. Whey is naturally a liquid (the wet part of cottage cheese is whey) that has just been dehydrated. It readily goes back into solution.

Try just dropping two scoops of whey into one cup of water, give it a quick shake just leave it to sit an hour. It'll be 95% dissolved with no foam at all. Shake it a bit if you're in a hurry, but you don't need a blender.