starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypertrophy

Default Hypertrophy

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Do two different types of hypertrophy, sacropasmic and myofibrillar exist or it's just all a big misunderstanding?
    I ask because I see cycles of internet debates where its either quoted or debunked, even at SS, occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Giri View Post
    Do two different types of hypertrophy, sacropasmic and myofibrillar exist or it's just all a big misunderstanding?
    I ask because I see cycles of internet debates where its either quoted or debunked, even at SS, occasionally.
    There are multiple things within a muscle that can increase its size, but they do not occur independently.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    There are multiple things within a muscle that can increase its size, but they do not occur independently.
    So, theoretically, one could describe all hypertrophy as some percentage being sacroplasmic and the rest being myofibrillar ?

Here's a great read on the topic: Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy: The Bros Were Probably Right

So, theoretically, one could describe all hypertrophy as some percentage being sacroplasmic and the rest being myofibrillar ?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by athlegan View Post
    I haven't read this so I can't vet it.

Yes.
    I thing the OP question is whether we can influence the percentages through different training methods or if it's predetermined genetically. And even if ratio of myofibrillar to sacroplasmic hyperthrophy is not fixed then how much realistically it can be changed? Is that even significant? If difference in ratios between doing 20reps and triples are within statistical error margin then it's not something anybody should be concerned with.

PS. Even in PP there's a mention about higher rep, higher volume work promoting more "sarcoplasmic hyperthrophy" but without getting into any details.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    I thing the OP question is whether we can influence the percentages through different training methods or if it's predetermined genetically. And even if ratio of myofibrillar to sacroplasmic hyperthrophy is not fixed then how much realistically it can be changed? Is that even significant? If difference in ratios between doing 20reps and triples are within statistical error margin then it's not something anybody should be concerned with.

PS. Even in PP there's a mention about higher rep, higher volume work promoting more "sarcoplasmic hyperthrophy" but without getting into any details.
    I think it's pretty clear that sarcoplasmic hypertrophy will be greater when the sarcoplasm has to expand as a response to it being insulted during training. If it is not stressed, it will not increase to the maximum amount. That said, programs designed to drive hypertrophy optimally can do this without sets of 10-15, but it's not something anyone should worry about unless they're worried about getting too big or too strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post

I was rather interested in knowing if strength being a function of cross-section area of muscle, power-lifters out-squatting bodybuilders is due to factors other than training and practice. Also, it's partly related to this old post .

I was rather interested in knowing if strength being a function of cross-section area of muscle, power-lifters out-squatting bodybuilders is due to factors other than training and practice. Also, it's partly related to this old post .
    You're wondering why folks who train the squat exponentially more with more specific methods (to increase the 1RM) have higher 1RM's at a given body weight than folks who don't?

starting strength coach development program
    You're wondering why folks who train the squat exponentially more with more specific methods (to increase the 1RM) have higher 1RM's at a given body weight than folks who don't?
    I want to know if there are factors other than power-lifter's specificity that result in them out-squatting bodybuilders pound to pound

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast