starting strength gym

Thread: Starting Keto In Early Stages of Lifting

Default Starting Keto In Early Stages of Lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Jordan,

I've been a lurker here for a long time. I'm seeking some advice about a transition to a keto diet.

I'm 29, 5'9", 272lbs and have weighed as much as 340lbs when I was 18. I've been obese my whole life. I guesstimate I'm about 40% body fat. I started Starting Strength at a certified gym with two SSCs back in December 2016. I started around 240lbs (roughly, wasn't weighing myself regularly) with the To Be a Beast diet but over the months I've played with things. Initially my weight shot up about 30lbs but then stabilized around where it is now. For the last few months I was eating on average 100g (or less) carbs on resting days and 150g or so on lifting days. Fat has been at 50g and protein at 275g. Since I started my waist has shrunk and the shape of my body has improved for the better but I'm feeling stuck now (as far as my body composition goes).

Currently my lifts are (lbs):
    Squat: 370 (for 1x5 then back off sets at 95% and 90%)
    Deadlift: 380 (failed 390 today at 1x3)
    Bench Press: 195
    Overhead Press: 135
    Power Clean: N/A, last I did them I was at 165lbs but I quit them because of time constraints
    T-Bar Rows: 105 (3x10 accessory work twice a week)

So I started keto Monday and I'm still working out my macros and the logistics of hitting them daily. My current plan is to aim for:
    Fat: 131g
    Protein: 165g
    Carbs: <= 20g

Today was second time in gym since I started keto diet and I didn't feel recovered at all since Tuesday and missed a deadlift PR. Have been having trouble sleeping though. Coach suggested I post in the forums to see what you think.

I want to 1) ask for your input on my proposed macros and 2) see if you have any advice about nutrient timing or anything that might help really. I'm not expecting to get swole via keto, but I'd like to keep bringing my bodyfat down. I'm comfortable with my strength gains slowing down for a while if my body fat is dropping.

Thank you

My advice is that you not do ketogenic dieting. If you want to lose weight, some conditioning and legit training will need to be done. Your diet would not really be ketogenic either given the protein content.