starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood work and training

Default Blood work and training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Jordan, my doctor wants me to get a bunch of blood work done, because it's been a year and it wasn't perfect last time. I think my LDL cholesterol and ALT were a bit high. My question is, should training be avoided for a certain period of time if you're getting extensive blood work done? What numbers can get thrown off if you train hard a day or two before getting blood drawn? I think I heard you and Austin Baraki address this in a podcast, but I can't remember which one it was... Thanks!

For AST and ALT, I would expect them to be potentially elevated in a lifter- with some sources suggesting until they are elevated 3x the normal limit, they are "fine". They can stay elevated up to a week so while I don't think it's anything to be alarmed about, if you want the test to be normal you'll probably need a week off.

The LDL is not affected via training other than some data showing potential lowering, though that's not always clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    For AST and ALT, I would expect them to be potentially elevated in a lifter- with some sources suggesting until they are elevated 3x the normal limit, they are "fine". They can stay elevated up to a week so while I don't think it's anything to be alarmed about, if you want the test to be normal you'll probably need a week off.

The LDL is not affected via training other than some data showing potential lowering, though that's not always clear.
    Hi Jordan,

If I may tag along on this thread, I'm 51, 6'1" and 220. I'm taking a week off for blood test in 8 days aiming for "normal". I was lifting when I had them done 3 months ago, cholesterol and sugar was all good, my ALT was only a little high 51(50), but GGT was elevated 72(60). Is it possible that weight training would cause that one to be high too? ALP was not high, I'm not a heavy drinker, navy BF is 24%, 40" waist. I'm trying to slowly get leaner by using your TBAB recomp macros and am a bit worried about hereditary Diabetes Type 2, metabolic syndrome. etc.

Thanks,
    Pete

GGT is not typically elevated from weight training or exercise, though some evidence suggests it does increase with sports like gymnastics. My take on it is that it shouldn't be elevated secondary to training.

GGT is not typically elevated from weight training or exercise, though some evidence suggests it does increase with sports like gymnastics. My take on it is that it shouldn't be elevated secondary to training.
    Thank you. Then my idea to interrupt training and stop taking creatine, beta-alanine and hmb is no good, right? I'll get back in the gym tomorrow, see how the tests come out next week and discuss it with my doctor.

That was certainly true for me. Mostly they were slightly elevated, but once they spiked up really high. This was after a week of near 1RM singles.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingCellist View Post
    Thank you. Then my idea to interrupt training and stop taking creatine, beta-alanine and hmb is no good, right? I'll get back in the gym tomorrow, see how the tests come out next week and discuss it with my doctor.
    I would tell you to try abstaining from alcohol first, then retest.

I'm genetically predisposed to high LDL levels. And they dropped significantly after 6 months of SS and I continue to sustain those lowered levels for the last 4 years. A sample of n=1 really.

I would tell you to try abstaining from alcohol first, then retest.
    How long would you recommend, like a few weeks or more like a few months?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingCellist View Post
    How long would you recommend, like a few weeks or more like a few months?
    I'd give it a month and see what happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast