starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sleep and recovery

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Bcharles123 View Post
    While completely anecdotal I once conducted a long term sleep experiment on myself.

I lived at the south pole for a little more than one year. A place with exactly one sunrise and one sunset per year. Clocks are arbitrary w.r.t. daytime/night time. For nine of the months, when we were down to a skeleton crew, I was able to sleep when tired and wake when not tired (no alarm clock). Our berthing areas (rooms) were private, quite and dark. With a few exceptions of time critical experiments or other events, I went to sleep on average 2hrs latter each successive night and woke, naturally after (almost) 8 hrs. This 26hr cycle was slightly asynchronous with a normal 24hr cycle. I was acutely aware of my own cycle which repeated more than 20 times in 9 months.

The lesson of this experience was, the amount of sleep required is roughly constant and the cue TO sleep drifts from the normal 24hr circadian inputs. I would weigh amount over timing.
    Amount over timing, yes. And your findings have been studies pretty well. Think it has even been replicated in a scientific environment.

But the amount is kinda linked to the timing. Its not like we get to choose really. Unless you are at a place where u were. The moment the sun hits my face im awake. Better make sure i have my sleep jn when that moment occurs

Quote Originally Posted by Maties Hofstede View Post
    The moment the sun hits my face im awake. Better make sure i have my sleep jn when that moment occurs
    I started wearing an eye mask because of that. Eventually, I just started waking up naturally around 8 a.m. The problem is when I take off the mask, the light hits me like a shovel to the face and it takes a while for my vision to adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    I started wearing an eye mask because of that. Eventually, I just started waking up naturally around 8 a.m. The problem is when I take off the mask, the light hits me like a shovel to the face and it takes a while for my vision to adjust.
    Ditto. Once the 5am blue comes in, I mask up. Can usually get to 7am before even the light peaking through the bottom of the mask gets to me. Stupid brain. Yep, I'm a princess. If I weren't married... [many things], but I'd also set up a mattress in the closet to get a complete darkness setup going. OR just get black blinds and black light-blocking curtains that actually block light. I look at dogs, and it seems like their eyelids are very thick compared to humans. Maybe there's some surgery I can get to fill my eyelids with some black gel material.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Yeah that works well in planes etc, not so much in bed. Always comes off. Might get some better curtains etc

Amount over timing, yes. And your findings have been studies pretty well. Think it has even been replicated in a scientific environment.
    طراحی سایت

Quote Originally Posted by Maties Hofstede View Post
    Yeah that works well in planes etc, not so much in bed. Always comes off. Might get some better curtains etc
    Custom black out shades. Really. They are amazing and worth every penny.
    Last edited by Jordan Feigenbaum; 08-05-2017 at 08:22 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Leah Lutz View Post
    Custom black out shades. Really. They are amazing and worth every penny.
    Ill look into that, thanks!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345