starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleep and recovery

Default Sleep and recovery

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Is there a method to quantify the effect of sleep on recovery?

For example, imagine an advanced novice who grinds out his squat sets, achieving linear progress with the mandated 2 day gap and 14 hours of sleep (7 hours a day). Can he also achieve the same with a weekly progression with (theoretically) 3 hours of sleep a day spread over the 5 days?

No he could not, because 35 hours of sleep is different than 15 hours......

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    No he could not, because 35 hours of sleep is different than 15 hours......
    My question was if 14 hours of sleep is all that is needed for the trainee to progress irrespective of whether he gets the 14 hours of sleep in two days or across the week. All that assuming that he stays at home, his diet remains the same and ignoring effect of de-training over the week.

In other words, is there a way to quantify the amount of recovery a trainee achieves due to sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by Giri View Post
    My question was if 14 hours of sleep is all that is needed for the trainee to progress irrespective of whether he gets the 14 hours of sleep in two days or across the week. All that assuming that he stays at home, his diet remains the same and ignoring effect of de-training over the week.

In other words, is there a way to quantify the amount of recovery a trainee achieves due to sleep?
    Let me ask you this- why do you think I am balking at your question? Might there be something that is clearly much different between the two situations you're presenting?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Let me ask you this- why do you think I am balking at your question? Might there be something that is clearly much different between the two situations you're presenting?
    I honestly don't know.
    My motivation is to understand the mechanism of recovery better (I know that the subjective answer would be "eat more and sleep more"), in a more quantifiable manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Giri View Post
    I honestly don't know.
    My motivation is to understand the mechanism of recovery better (I know that the subjective answer would be "eat more and sleep more"), in a more quantifiable manner.
    Sleep debt builds throughout the week and can, if significant, increase sleep drive during the day. Both of these things compromise recovery (1) and performance (2). 7 hours of sleep per night cumulatively allows restoration whereas less than that produces significant sleep debt and is not compatible with strenuous productive training.

Unless your name is Feigenbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Maties Hofstede View Post
    Unless your name is Feigenbaum
    Or your define productive as maintaining strength within 5-10% of all time bests.

well oke I missed the word "training". Was referring to productivity in general, which without puttig you on a pedestool seems almighty at times.

And yes, keepin your lifts at those numbers is pretty fucking respectable. Althoug maybe we shouldnt refer to productivity as the weights but the fact that you just put in the work 3 nights at 5hrs sleep and im running on auto pilot.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Maties Hofstede View Post
    well oke I missed the word "training". Was referring to productivity in general, which without puttig you on a pedestool seems almighty at times.

And yes, keepin your lifts at those numbers is pretty fucking respectable. Althoug maybe we shouldnt refer to productivity as the weights but the fact that you just put in the work 3 nights at 5hrs sleep and im running on auto pilot.
    I appreciate your kind words- still trying to make some magic happen here!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast