starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick Carbs Before Training

Default Quick Carbs Before Training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I've been getting a fair amount of carbs (maybe 1/3) from OJ and other fruit drinks, especially before workout bc I don't like feeling stuffed during a workout. I was recently recommended by a.z.b that fruit drink carbs aren't preferable. What's a better option that won't leave me feeling stuffed? Also, maybe I'm eating too soon (30-45min) before my workout and that's why I'm feeling stuffed.

Thanks

You don't need quick carbs, but if feeling stuffed from eating 45 min prior to training is an issue, eat further ahead of time. Rice, potatoes, oatmeal, and similar should make up the bulk of your starchy carbs.

What's the max time I could wait and still be in an optimal (in terms of performance) range, 1 1/2-2 hours?

Also, what makes fruit juices less preferable? Lack of fiber, sugar content, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Rice, potatoes, oatmeal, and similar should make up the bulk of your starchy carbs.
    OP,

Oats + protein powder (or simply just oats) in a bottle works well. You'd probably have to experiment with how it sits with you, but it would give you the same convenience as fruit juice.

I think it tastes a lot better than it sounds.

I heard about eating 1.5-2 hours before training a good amount of complex carbohydrates, and about 30 minutes before the gym, take some quick, simple carbohydrates, like fruits, chocolate. I, personally, love taking banana or a bread with sugar, chocolate or honey.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    What's the max time I could wait and still be in an optimal (in terms of performance) range, 1 1/2-2 hours?

Also, what makes fruit juices less preferable? Lack of fiber, sugar content, etc.?
    It's mostly personal preference. I try to eat 1.5 hrs prior to training.

Fruit juice is a ton of sugar and fructose, which I'm not a big fan of for fueling anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    I heard about eating 1.5-2 hours before training a good amount of complex carbohydrates, and about 30 minutes before the gym, take some quick, simple carbohydrates, like fruits, chocolate. I, personally, love taking banana or a bread with sugar, chocolate or honey.
    Doesn't matter if they're quick or complex before or after provided total daily fiber is in check.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Fruit juice is a ton of sugar and fructose, which I'm not a big fan of for fueling anything.
    What about dextrose?

What you say is, that if I eat enough amount of, lets say white rice(with the chicken breast), 90 minutes before training, I don't need no other carbo before?
    And what about the fiber? Why is it important(regarding gaining muscle), except for avoiding constipation?

Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    What about dextrose?
    There is no indication for supplemental dextrose.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    What you say is, that if I eat enough amount of, lets say white rice(with the chicken breast), 90 minutes before training, I don't need no other carbo before?
    And what about the fiber? Why is it important(regarding gaining muscle), except for avoiding constipation?
    Why would you need other carbs besides the white rice?

Fiber is useful for satiety, thermic effect of food, and is associated with plenty of health metrics such that I agree with the current WHO and IOM recommendations on daily fiber intake.

starting strength coach development program
    That moment you're so knowledgeable you can "agree" with an agency like that. Dope

Just for personal interest, So the "whole grain/brown bread is better then white bread" argument just retains to fiber difference? Doesnt matter if fiber intake is already good? Us Dutch live, thrive and work on bread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast