starting strength gym

Thread: Fat gain

Default Fat gain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    25 years old 5 ft 9

I've been doing ss for about 4 months on a calorie surplus of about 3000 - 3500 calories a day. My lifts have continued rising and I've gone to somewhere between 175 - 180 pounds. My lifts are starting to stall and I've had to reset and I've had people suggest for me to eat more but my body fat is about 25 percent so I'm concerned that if I up my calories I will look fat.

I know very little about diet so what shall I do? My diet right now consists of basically whatever I fancy at the time. I just eat as much as I can on a daily basis and don't really think much about it. It's helped me build muscle and has taken my lifts up by alot. But what now? Shall I just continue the way I am and ignore the fat again even if it's slowly starting to show through my shirts? Do I decrease my carb intake? Help me out Jordan.

I have, so I guess I'm either not reading it right or I'm stupid but I don't think it directly answers my question.

Would you consider me to fat at 25 percent bodyfat at 180 entering the latter stages of my novice progression having done ss for 3 months? I'm really just stuck on wherever to continue bulking at a slow rate or if I should aim to reduce my bodyfat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick1984 View Post
    I have, so I guess I'm either not reading it right or I'm stupid but I don't think it directly answers my question.

Would you consider me to fat at 25 percent bodyfat at 180 entering the latter stages of my novice progression having done ss for 3 months? I'm really just stuck on wherever to continue bulking at a slow rate or if I should aim to reduce my bodyfat.
    This is the wrong question to ask me and you haven't provided enough information to me.

Help me out here.

What are your goals, what's your best squat for a set of 5, what's your waist measurement, what did your body weight change from beginning to end on LP?

I'm not sure on weight gained but my 5 rep max for squat is 310. I was on and off the program for a while because of a pelvic tilt so it's hard for me to say how much weight I've gained as the whole thing has been up and down. But I have added over 100kg onto my squat since starting the program.

My goal for now is to get my squat to about 405 and deadlift to near 500. I understand that requires lots of eating. I'm about a 32 waist.

Im about to go into madcows 5x5 routine so I figured I would eat roughly 300 calories over maintence with my protein intake around 200 grams a day, would you agree with this?

starting strength coach development program
    That seems reasonable.