starting strength gym

Thread: Any health risks from weight training when it's uber hot?

Default Any health risks from weight training when it's uber hot?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Out of curiosity, are there any health risks from weight training when the heat index is over 100 degrees? Felt like I was going to pass out at the end of today's session, even though I had consumed ~6 cups of water before/during training. I definitely prefer lifting in the morning, but that doesn't always work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Out of curiosity, are there any health risks from weight training when the heat index is over 100 degrees? Felt like I was going to pass out at the end of today's session, even though I had consumed ~6 cups of water before/during training. I definitely prefer lifting in the morning, but that doesn't always work out.
    Not really directly from the heat unless someone has a history of heat related illnesses and, of course, dehydration related illnesses like hyponatremia (most folks who train hard in the heat get some level of hyponatremia) and training in the heat is more fatiguing than more "normal temperatures"

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Not really directly from the heat unless someone has a history of heat related illnesses and, of course, dehydration related illnesses like hyponatremia (most folks who train hard in the heat get some level of hyponatremia) and training in the heat is more fatiguing than more "normal temperatures"
    I like eating sour pickles before/during weight training if I know I'll be sweating a lot. I've noticed my sweat isn't salty unless I do that. Gatorade doesn't seem to have enough sodium to make any difference.

Are there any benefits? (i.e. is there any reason for my wife's hot yoga? Not that I will ever discuss this with her.)

Will ingesting more sodium before and during the workout help?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    I like eating sour pickles before/during weight training if I know I'll be sweating a lot. I've noticed my sweat isn't salty unless I do that. Gatorade doesn't seem to have enough sodium to make any difference.
    Correct, the sodium load in addition to other electrolytes in gatorade or similar drinks (including coconut water, pedialyte, etc.) are underdosed for this application.

Quote Originally Posted by brettj View Post
    Are there any benefits? (i.e. is there any reason for my wife's hot yoga? Not that I will ever discuss this with her.)
    Not unless you're competing in the heat and need to acclimate.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Will ingesting more sodium before and during the workout help?
    It may chronically over time if fluid and electrolyte losses are significant and you're not salt sensitive and hypertensive.

I lived in Memphis for 8 years and trained in an unairconditioned space. You'll adjust after while.

starting strength coach development program
    This is a favored topic among running magazines and they like to change their minds every spring/summer. As alarmist as they can be, they are always outdone by the local TV news channel. They setup a camera in front of a trail and do a story about how everyone in the background could drop dead at any second.
    Like u\poser stated above, you really do get used to it. I think the only benefit is that I warm up more quickly. I also get a bit of a mental boost from knowing that most people wouldn't put themselves through it. Two pretty poor benefits overall, but I'll take hot over cold anytime.