starting strength gym

Thread: Clarification from Instagram live video

Default Clarification from Instagram live video

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan,
    First of all, thanks for all the content you put out there for us.

I asked a question on today's instagram live, and the video went a little wonky during your reply so I may have missed something. My comment was about previously having a 1RM pull of 405 and wanting to start the LP, but concerned about where to start. (6'6 and approx 300lbs)

I believe you said I was not a novice with that pull, but now I'm untrained/detrained (Pull was about a year ago, no lifting since my daughter was born in Feb.) I've never DTFP, just lifting what it seemed I could that day. I want to start again, with a little more structure.

What I really want to know is this: If I start too low (based on the fact that I should be able to add weight fairly quickly early), will my LP end lower than I could have otherwise? Or will I still make it to the same weights, just taking longer?

Should I take bigger jumps until they don't work, and go to smaller? Or should I just use the standard suggested weight jumps?

Thanks again,
    Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the post, however that is not what I said. I said that if you have a true 1RM, you're not a novice. Additionally, since I presume everyone is a novice until proven otherwise- you should not base any weights off a 1RM, tested or estimated. Rather- and I think this is key- you titrate the weight up until the bar speed slows down or technique breaks down. You either do sets across there (in the former) or fix the technique (in the latter) for subsequent sets where applicable (squat, bench, press, power clean). That all being said, you NEED to read the book. It is not possible to run the program very successfully without knowing the intricacies of the program.

Thanks for the clarification. Like I said, unfortunately video went out at exactly the wrong time.

I know I am definitely a novice and I want to actually go through progression. I wasn't hoping to find starting weight from old 1RM. Rather, I have been told that previous lifting experience means that weights should go up quicker at the beginning. Would you say that's just broscience?

Do I not worry about wights being too light at the beginning? Will I still end the LP in the same place.

Thanks again. Listening to the podcast right now.

You cannot increase weights faster than during the novice progression regardless of previous experience. I wouldn't worry about starting too light if you follow the advice I listed above, but really- you need to buy and read the book. This is all discussed in great detail there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    You cannot increase weights faster than during the novice progression regardless of previous experience.
    Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I wouldn't worry about starting too light if you follow the advice I listed above, but really- you need to buy and read the book. This is all discussed in great detail there.
    I'm still reading through the book, but getting impatient to actually start. I'll keep going.

Thanks.