starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perfecting Protein Intake in Athletes

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by m_sporkboy View Post
    man don't I wish. I am hcoking down five scoops of whey isolate a day and ready for some new technology.
    5 scoops?!! Do you eat meat?

Quote Originally Posted by brettj View Post
    Or read two sentences further in the article:

"Our work has not compared whether protein pre-sleep is superior to eating the same amount of protein during the day."
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmi View Post
    Is the article saying that bigger, heavier people don't need more than 160g/ day (40g x 4 meals)? Or is the point that's only the amount needed to initiate MPS (40g per meal)?

If only ~160g is needed for MPS I'd think a 275 lbs trained person would need more protein to grow than a 125 lbs trained person, yes?
    It's hard to exactly know what the article is saying because the author does not make explicit recommendations and makes interesting interpretations of data sets to make vague points.

Quote Originally Posted by tnumrych View Post
    Jordan, the paper is behind a paywall, so I'm unable to read it myself. I'm curious if you could you elaborate on the problem with how the author of that article interpreted the study?
    The are comparing a meal with protein, carbs and cals compared to a non caloric placebo given post workout (but before bed) and the author concludes this shows pre sleep protein dosing is superior than not. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    It looks like they made those dudes work out at 10pm, eat protein at 11:30pm, the forced them to go to bed at midnight. Lolol.
    LOL in deed.

Quote Originally Posted by Marenghi View Post
    Thats the question - what is the bottleneck?

It seems that its not repairing and building blocks, but full MPS stimulation. Dont remember which study it was, but protein needed for actual building was shown to be ridiculously low. Not surprising when you realize that for an optimistic scenario in a trained athlete, youre building maybe a net weight of 10 grams (less than half an ounce) of muscle mass a day.
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    5 scoops?!! Do you eat meat?
    I do. On a typical day I might have a couple eggs at breakfast, something like a burger, burrito or thai curry at lunch, and some chicken or steak at dinner. That only adds up to 100g or so, though, even counting whatever rice/fruit/pasta/veg I also eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Marenghi View Post
    Thats the question - what is the bottleneck?

It seems that its not repairing and building blocks, but full MPS stimulation. Dont remember which study it was, but protein needed for actual building was shown to be ridiculously low. Not surprising when you realize that for an optimistic scenario in a trained athlete, youre building maybe a net weight of 10 grams (less than half an ounce) of muscle mass a day.
    Correct.
    If so, then maybe put more of a priority on MPS spiking via BCAA-chuggz-throughout-the-day and little less dietary protein . . . say if trying the mythical gain strength(muscle) while losing fat thing.

or let me guess: NO!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    If so, then maybe put more of a priority on MPS spiking via BCAA-chuggz-throughout-the-day and little less dietary protein . . . say if trying the mythical gain strength(muscle) while losing fat thing.

or let me guess: NO!
    Nah- total dietary protein intake is important too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12