starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfecting Protein Intake in Athletes

Default Perfecting Protein Intake in Athletes

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I assume you've already seen this, but in case you haven't, it has an interesting take on leucine vs BCAA.

Perfecting Protein Intake in Athletes: How Much, What, and When?

Quote Originally Posted by spiderbro View Post
    I assume you've already seen this, but in case you haven't, it has an interesting take on leucine vs BCAA.

Perfecting Protein Intake in Athletes: How Much, What, and When?
    I agree with some of the stuff here, but some of the research interpretations I cannot understand how he came to those conclusions particularly with regards to leucine vs BCAAs. That said, I think we agree on the most part for protein recommendations.
    Last edited by Jordan Feigenbaum; 07-07-2017 at 12:00 PM.

"We have shown that eating extra protein just before overnight sleep further increases overnight MPS."

Time to intravenously feed myself protein every 3 hours during sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    "We have shown that eating extra protein just before overnight sleep further increases overnight MPS."

Yea- I would like people to read the study quoted and then see why these articles are so goddamn annoying.

Or read two sentences further in the article:

"Our work has not compared whether protein pre-sleep is superior to eating the same amount of protein during the day."

Is the article saying that bigger, heavier people don't need more than 160g/ day (40g x 4 meals)? Or is the point that's only the amount needed to initiate MPS (40g per meal)?

If only ~160g is needed for MPS I'd think a 275 lbs trained person would need more protein to grow than a 125 lbs trained person, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    man don't I wish. I am hcoking down five scoops of whey isolate a day and ready for some new technology.

Jordan, the paper is behind a paywall, so I'm unable to read it myself. I'm curious if you could you elaborate on the problem with how the author of that article interpreted the study?

It looks like they made those dudes work out at 10pm, eat protein at 11:30pm, the forced them to go to bed at midnight. Lolol.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmi View Post
    Is the article saying that bigger, heavier people don't need more than 160g/ day (40g x 4 meals)? Or is the point that's only the amount needed to initiate MPS (40g per meal)?

If only ~160g is needed for MPS I'd think a 275 lbs trained person would need more protein to grow than a 125 lbs trained person, yes?
    Thats the question - what is the bottleneck?

It seems that its not repairing and building blocks, but full MPS stimulation. Dont remember which study it was, but protein needed for actual building was shown to be ridiculously low. Not surprising when you realize that for an optimistic scenario in a trained athlete, youre building maybe a net weight of 10 grams (less than half an ounce) of muscle mass a day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast