starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Above optimal macros

Default Above optimal macros

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Is there an appreciable difference in any capacity between raising macros to above-optimal levels for protein, carbs, or fats respectively?

Say I'm bulking and young. A gram of protein per lb of bodyweight. If I'm not dialed in and get 220 grams at 172 lbs, but I am certainly eating enough carbs and fat, is there a complete watershed effect when passing that threshold?

What if those calories came in the form of extra fat, or extra carbs? (Past optimal)

Is it all just fat? No difference in what your body does with it, or are there any favorable differences that would indicate to 'err' on the side of too much of one particular macronutrient?

I honestly have no idea what you're asking me.

I have found that if I try and eat to excess by taking in extra fat, that it is far too much effort. I tried drinking pots of double cream (same as heavy cream in US?) and it killed my appetite so quickly and for so long that I could hardly meet the 1 g per lb of bodyweight protein recvomendation. Eating sugary food does nothing for satisfying my hunger so I imagine a person could get themselves very fat fast by taking in lots of sugar. So I guess manipulating sugar/complex carbs and fat to get the right hunger that allows you to consune the right amount of protein and calories for the goal is the best.

Basically, if my goal is gaining on the LP and every day due to circumstance I have to go over on any particular macronutrient to make my intake requirements (multi ingredient food while at work for example, I'm a waiter), what should I err on the side of? Carbs?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I honestly have no idea what you're asking me.
    If I may I believe he is asking if you hit your target protein macro, which other macro (if any) should be increased to hit his calorie target and at which point is too much of a given macro.

I think what he's saying is that, given a calorie surplus, is there a benefit to having those surplus calories adjusted in a particular balance?

I think you've tackled that somewhat or even completely in past videos.

Quote Originally Posted by cfreetenor View Post
    Basically, if my goal is gaining on the LP and every day due to circumstance I have to go over on any particular macronutrient to make my intake requirements (multi ingredient food while at work for example, I'm a waiter), what should I err on the side of? Carbs?
    Why- as a freely living adult- would you "have to" go over on a macronutrient? I wouldn't prescribe going over, if possible. If you had to, I wouldn't. I'd adjust food in other meals to make it fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    If I may I believe he is asking if you hit your target protein macro, which other macro (if any) should be increased to hit his calorie target and at which point is too much of a given macro.
    Carbs and fats.

Quote Originally Posted by footrat View Post
    I think what he's saying is that, given a calorie surplus, is there a benefit to having those surplus calories adjusted in a particular balance?

I think you've tackled that somewhat or even completely in past videos.
    Sure, but that's individual.

In the calorie range I'm shooting for that's been working so far, it's a bit hard between working 12 hour shifts some days, driving half hour to and from gym, and then expenses on top of it. Sometimes I have to go for calorie efficient - I'm eating PBJ sandwiches during my all day shifts at work for example.

What I'm wondering is, is there a functional difference in going a little overboard on any particular macronutrient? I'm still getting used to intentionally eating so much - my living situation also affords me with less than ideal storage space to plan out meals.

Quote Originally Posted by cfreetenor View Post
    In the calorie range I'm shooting for that's been working so far, it's a bit hard between working 12 hour shifts some days, driving half hour to and from gym, and then expenses on top of it. Sometimes I have to go for calorie efficient - I'm eating PBJ sandwiches during my all day shifts at work for example.

What I'm wondering is, is there a functional difference in going a little overboard on any particular macronutrient? I'm still getting used to intentionally eating so much - my living situation also affords me with less than ideal storage space to plan out meals.
    As a former medical student and resident with multiple commitments, I can empathize. However- I still don't understand why you would go over on one macronutrient. Just don't do that.

To answer this question- if you go over on carbs and/or fat, you'll likely gain adipose tissue. To what degree and at what rate there is a difference between +200Cal of carbs vs +200Cal of fat, we don't know and I suspect it's different for each individual.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    As a former medical student and resident with multiple commitments, I can empathize. However- I still don't understand why you would go over on one macronutrient. Just don't do that.

To answer this question- if you go over on carbs and/or fat, you'll likely gain adipose tissue. To what degree and at what rate there is a difference between +200Cal of carbs vs +200Cal of fat, we don't know and I suspect it's different for each individual.
    I appreciate the response, I guess the main issue is that I would just rather go over than under, and I want to figure the best option to stuff my face with if I suspect that I am under but I haven't kept track of the precise weight of the peanut butter and jelly in my sandwiches that I make on the fly at work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast