starting strength gym

Thread: Day to day nutrition changes?

Default Day to day nutrition changes?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've searched the forum but can't find a post addressing my question. I'm on a HLM intermediate program currently. 37 years old.

I've been using the "To Be a Beast" article as a template for nutritional planning. However, I have a question that I can't find an answer too... hopefully that's not because the answer is obvious

Should the basic calorie/macro guidelines change depending on training/non-training days? Are the guidelines laid out for training days? I.e., would you decrease the calories on non-training days? Or... are the guidelines designed for non training days - meaning an increase on training days? Or, just try and maintain the same caloric intake every day (within reason)?

Thanks in advance

Keep them the same day to day, as you need the fuel to recover on off days right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Keep them the same day to day, as you need the fuel to recover on off days right?
    I am so glad to hear you say that. I could never wrap my head around high and low days due to this exact thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    I am so glad to hear you say that. I could never wrap my head around high and low days due to this exact thought.
    Well, there are reasons to use high/low days, but for optimal recovery you probably wouldn't.

Well, there are reasons to use high/low days, but for optimal recovery you probably wouldn't.
    What would be reasons to use high/low days when cutting BF?

Quote Originally Posted by Cinic View Post
    What would be reasons to use high/low days when cutting BF?
    Modulating the rate, psychological reasons, compliance, fueling harder workout days vs. less hard days, to name a few.

Modulating the rate, psychological reasons, compliance, fueling harder workout days vs. less hard days, to name a few.
    Jordan,

I was doing this while on a cut but have recently changed my goals. Would it be advisable to get away from the High/Low day scheme and perhaps go to a flat day-to-day scheme instead? I work out 3 days a week.

49YO
    5'9"
    174 lbs
    23-24% BF

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Reese View Post
    Jordan,

I was doing this while on a cut but have recently changed my goals. Would it be advisable to get away from the High/Low day scheme and perhaps go to a flat day-to-day scheme instead? I work out 3 days a week.

49YO
    5'9"
    174 lbs
    23-24% BF
    For what reason?

For what reason?
    I don't know. I'm just wondering if this method is still the right choice at this point. Maybe I'm overthinking things and should just trust the process. I've gradually increased my Macros over the past month and haven't found a spot where I am gaining weight yet.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Reese View Post
    I don't know. I'm just wondering if this method is still the right choice at this point. Maybe I'm overthinking things and should just trust the process. I've gradually increased my Macros over the past month and haven't found a spot where I am gaining weight yet.
    Then you need to increase macros faster, now.