starting strength gym

Thread: Milk madness?

Default Milk madness?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello. So when I first started starting strength I was about 200 lb bodyweight at 5 foot 11 inches and 32 years old and not untrained (reasonable strong despite 10 years of doing it wrong). So not exactly the person the GOMAD recommendation is aimed at. Nonetheless, I did it anyway.

Switched to Texas Method when linear progression came to an end, then HLM and 4 day split and back to TM. And they've all worked.

I reached 220 lb bodyweight and I still was managing to very slowly increase weight on the bar, but only slightly and fatigue was bad. So I've decided I want more bodyweight and I now drink 4.5 litres (9.5 US pints) a day and have been for about 10 weeks. I'm now 224 lb. so it's working, albeit not at the rate I thought it would.

What negative health affects can drinking this amount for a prolonged period have? I mean the milk alone is 3000 calories, and 150 grams of protein. My three square meals a day must be at least 2000 and 75 grams of protein and I feel like I could easily have another litre and a half of milk on top again if I felt I needed it if Texas method fatigue gets to the point it did when I was merely GOMADing it.

I've heard things about calcium stripping from the bones and things.

Cheers

What negative health affects can drinking this amount for a prolonged period have?
    None, unless you get really fat.

You've heard drinking milk decreases calcium content in bones?

Okay cool. Just people are shocked when I say I'm drinking 4.5 litres a day and someone had said that all the calcium in the milk is actually bad for your bones. So I just thought I'd check since I'm thinking of going up to 6 litres a day. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I have read that, too. On a Website which glorifys veganism.
    A lot of people seem to believe that milk is like poison.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I've actually heard people claim that they drank so much milk that it caused their teeth to get brittle.....whatever the hell that is supposed to mean.

Thanks for the link. 226 lb body weight this morning and no bones have snapped. I'll stay with the 4.5 litres until just before I get really fat. Cheers.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Theseahawk View Post
    I hate this myth. I seriously hate this myth so much. Why won't it just dieeeee??

There has never been a study proving the causation between drinking milk and bone density loss. You know what does cause bone density loss? Drinking a gallon of soda a day instead of a gallon of milk, aka, what most Americans who participate in these bogus studies are doing. Ugh. And Eck.