starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too Much Red Meat?

Default Too Much Red Meat?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Jordan,
    As always, thank you for your time, energy, and willingness to share knowledge on this board.

Question about red meat intake:

My local butcher offers "special" ground beef. Basically, they pull steaks and grind them and then offer the meat for like $2.57 a pound. The grind is really lean and he told me it's about a 96/4 blend (which seems accurate based on how it cooks up).

Long story short, I eat about 5 pounds of beef a week. Any issues with this from a health perspective?

I eat fruits and veggies, oats, rice, beans... And not a lot of packaged foods other than Quest bars, cereals (on occasion) and the occassional 2-3 donuts & the once every two months brunch destroyer meal (all you can eat brunch buffets--FTW). Fiber intake is around 30g a day.

Oh and around 12-16 cups of coffee a day.

My instinct tells me it's not an issue, but then....

Thanks. Mark

You drink 12-16 cups of coffee a day??

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    LOL. Yeah, true 6 ounce cups. Daily average looks like this:

6 in the morning 5:30ish

2 around 11

1-2 around 2-3 PM

2-3 around 7 PM

Sometimes more. And some days, I don't drink any or only a couple of cups. On the days, I don't drink any, I don't notice any difference in energy levels and don't get headaches.

If you go by the measuring cup marks on the pot then I drink prolly 10-12 cups a day though that breaks down to actually pouring coffee in to my coffee cup 4 times a day. I'm guessing my coffee cup is about 16 oz and for whatever reason coffee makers refer to a cup as 6 oz. how much coffee a day do you drink Jordan? Considering you seem to operate on like 3 hours of sleep I presume your blood type would be Arabica.

Too few?

Thanks for asking this question, Mark. I eat quite a bit of red meat as well. Not quite on your level with the coffee consumption though

Should drink twice the amount of coffee he drinks, then he'll not have to worry about nothing, approximately.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harlin View Post
    I'm guessing my coffee cup is about 16 oz and for whatever reason coffee makers refer to a cup as 6 oz. how much coffee a day do you drink Jordan? Considering you seem to operate on like 3 hours of sleep I presume your blood type would be Arabica.
    In 6 oz cups, I probably do 5 cups a day then.

96/4 ground beef sounds awful. What do you do with it? I find 80/20 too lean for burgers. For a while I was grinding skirt steak to get a fattier blend, but the prices went through the roof. . . .

I just got a glass pot for iced tea. I make it TX style, which is weak. I drink a few large glasses a day, but I don't come close to 15 cups of coffee a day. That's extreme!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    In 6 oz cups, I probably do 5 cups a day then.
    Wait, should I have any concern about the coffee or red meat quantities?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast