starting strength gym

Thread: Growing Muscle at 50

Default Growing Muscle at 50

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Looking for a plan to reasonably add muscle mass. Some backstory:

I'm 5' 10", 166lbs, 50 years old.

Started novice LP (5x5 - I know..) 5 years ago at 155lbs. Was 175 after 3-4 months. Set PRs for about 1.5-2 years then stalled.

Went from 175 to 200 lbs in 4 months (way too fast for my age). Set modest new PRs, but had mostly just gotten fat.

Decided to re-set. Lost 40lbs over 18 months and then burned out.

Started to rebuild in February. Ate a little more and have worked back up to the PR range I had when I was 175, and in some cases when I was 200. Weight has been steady at 166-168 for last 3 months or so.

I'm still making progress on my lifts, but it's slowing down and I can tell a stall is probably not too far off. My plan has been, when I do stall to then start to slowly gain some weight.

My question: at my age and build (skinny-fat ectomorph), what is a sensible approach? I've been thinking I should try to start adding about a pound per month, but perhaps even that is too aggressive (see, Ectomorph, skinny-fat, old). Any thoughts on what would be the best way to add muscle under those circumstances for an aging hard gainer?

Current lifts as % of body weight based on E1RM. Probably pretty close to reality as my work sets are now singles in the 90-95% range of these numbers:
    Squat - 1.93
    Deadlift - 2.26
    Bench - 1.51
    Press - .90

For the ease of replying,

What has your weight done in the last 2 weeks? How much are you eating right now? And what are your actual lifts? I assume you're doing the novice LP (not the 5x5 your referenced above), yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post

What has your weight done in the last 2 weeks? How much are you eating right now? And what are your actual lifts? I assume you're doing the novice LP (not the 5x5 your referenced above), yes?
    Weight has been steady ~ 166-168 for the last few months. I eat 240g protein/150g carb/60 g fat per day, with a high carb day @ 220/280/55 once per week. Plan has been to maintain this until I hit a stall, and then start upping intake in small increments.

I'm doing a singles program a la Hepburn, 3 weeks ramping from 5 singles to 8 plus one or two (depending on lift) volume days of 3 sets of 6 ramping to 3 x 7 over the three weeks. Fourth week is recovery, then add weight and start a new cycle. Been making good progress for last 4 months. Did a short LP 6-7 months ago to get going, but LP now is way too much work to sustain without burning out in a few weeks. Progress is slow now, but has been sustainable so far.

Current singles weights and e1RMs:

Squat - singles @ 300, e1RM @325; 3 x 7 @ 230
    Deadlift - singles @ 345, e1RM @ 385; 3 x 7 @ 250 (rack pulls)
    Bench - singles @ 230, e1RM @ 250; 3 x 7 @ 165 (close grip)
    Press - singles @ 142.5, e1RM @ 150; 3 x 7 @ 102.5

Also do a day of pin squats (2 x 7) and pendlay rows (3 x 7). Volume could probably go up for bench and squat, seems to be good for deads and press.

Thanks for your response.

I thought I replied but I guess it didn't take: weight has been steady 166-168 for last several months. Currently doing a singles program (ramping 5-8 singles over 3 weeks) plus one or two volume/hypertrophy days (3 sets of 7) per lift as well. Current singles lifts (all are at about 8-9.5 RPE):

Squat: 300
    Deadlift: 345
    Bench: 230
    Press: 142.5

Quote Originally Posted by Hiphopapotamus View Post
    Weight has been steady ~ 166-168 for the last few months. I eat 240g protein/150g carb/60 g fat per day, with a high carb day @ 220/280/55 once per week. Plan has been to maintain this until I hit a stall, and then start upping intake in small increments.
    Your weight is stalling and you are underweight, so I would increase intake.

I'm doing a singles program a la Hepburn, 3 weeks ramping from 5 singles to 8 plus one or two (depending on lift) volume days of 3 sets of 6 ramping to 3 x 7 over the three weeks. Fourth week is recovery, then add weight and start a new cycle. Been making good progress for last 4 months. Did a short LP 6-7 months ago to get going, but LP now is way too much work to sustain without burning out in a few weeks. Progress is slow now, but has been sustainable so far.
    This programming is inappropriate given your history, goals, and current training development.

Your weight is stalling and you are underweight, so I would increase intake.
    Thanks, but my question is - at my age, what is a reasonable target for weight gain? 1 lb/month? 1/2/month? etc. Thanks again.

Thanks, but my question is - at my age, what is a reasonable target for weight gain? 1 lb/month? 1/2/month? etc. Thanks again.
    This is not necessarily determinable based on just your age and stats, as your individual response to training is also important to know. However, this can only be done post hoc..

starting strength coach development program
    Everyone has different genetics, and life situations, so there is no magical mathematical formula which can tell you an exact precise number.

Most people will get on a consistent program, watch what happens, and adjust your calories/macros up/down as needed. So start exactly tracking your macros, and once you are tracking them well, adjust as needed.