starting strength gym

Thread: Milks vs allergys

Default Milks vs allergys

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First let me convey my appreciation for you and this network for all the valuable information you guys provide. Its much appreciated and needed!

My question. Since childhood ive been off milk and related products. Eczema apparently related to cow milk protein allergy led my parents to conclude i shouldnt ingest it. Cant remember the medical term but im allergic to a variety of foods and things (peanuts, pollen, mites, animals etc are the known).

Ive never been a big eater, my dad would call me an indian cuz i could go hours/days without eatin much and then gurge way more than usual later on. Anyways, milk related products are an xtremely easy and fairly cheap way to get kcals and protein in. I started with milk some months ago, ended up with gastritiss although im not sure they are related. Same with whey, i tried it but my gastrointestinal system is pretty sensitive, lot of burping, false air, nausea etc. Hard thing is i can never reveal causation, but my stomach will often times find a way to fuck me up.

Do u have any thoughts? Is there a conclusive test ro rule out milk allergy or so? My GP just sends home me saying milk is not needed, nor is eatin as much as I want to.

And for the whey, right now i got the normal stuff. What road should i go down or would make sense? Try isolate, hydrolised? And whats the next good protein shake source?

I understand, when u want something u make it work. Doin my best gettin all the kcals in but would like some advice / workarounds from the expert.

Thnx!

Maties- you're asking me if you should get tested for a milk allergy because you have had a history of a skin condition that is sensitive to it and other diagnosed food allergies? I probably wouldn't get tested because a simple trial of milk tells you all you need to know. If you can tolerate a few glasses a day without side effects then you can titrate the thing up slowly, but it kind of sounds like you have an allergy and my recommendation would be to not even bother. There's nothing special about milk, as there are many other foods you could eat in its place that are portable, cheap, and high in quality protein.

Well thank you.

Yeah overthinking this. Milk is just cheap n easy and I have a hard time meeting macro's. Anyways. What comes to mind about the foods you speak off?

And for the whey (or other protein shake). Could try an isolate or hydrolisate, see if my gut handles the broken down proteins better. whats your 2c? And best next thing after whey?
    Used to buy the massively overpriced sun warrior's shake, but I learned from you and this forum that the plant based stuff is no good. Intestines handled it well though.

Thanks!! Forever in debt

Peanut butter, pre cooked rice, rice cakes, instant oats, whey, protein bars, fruit, tuna, etc. Literally anything dude.

For whey, try an Isolate but if your reported symptoms are only within 1-2 weeks of starting protein then it may just require some more time.