starting strength gym

Thread: Interval between protein/bcaa consumption

Question Interval between protein/bcaa consumption

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    (1) I understand from http://7 Rules to Optimize Protein Intake that for optimal MPS there should be an interval of 3-5 hours before consuming more protein and ideally 3-5 meals per day.

(2) "3-4g of leucine per meal has been shown to maximize muscle protein synthesis" (See above)

(3) A 20g serve of whey protein has ~3g of leucine. Consuming much more protein than this will not aid MPS.

(4) It is recommended in the paragraph on BCAA's at Stop Wasting Money - Nutrition Supplements that Actually Work that a BCAA supplement which will contain "a healthy dose of leucine in addition to multiple other beneficial amino acids" be consumed before and after a workout and "at least 1.5 hours after eating in order to reap the benefits of an additional MPS cycle between each meal".

If 3-4g of leucine is the maximum amount that can be consumed for effective MPS until another 3-5 hours has elapsed, I do not understand the recommendation to consume BCAA's 1.5 hours after eating in (4). Is ingesting leucine via BCAA's somehow different than via whey?

In practical terms, if the lifter ate lunch at 1.00pm and consumed BCAA's, (or whey) before his workout at 5.00pm, the workout finished at 7.00pm at which time he consumed more BCAA's or whey, does that mean he, ideally, should not eat dinner until 10.00pm?

I am confused about the practical application of the above advice, assuming a workout takes two hours, at whatever time of the day it occurs.

If 3-4g of leucine is the maximum amount that can be consumed for effective MPS until another 3-5 hours has elapsed, I do not understand the recommendation to consume BCAA's 1.5 hours after eating in (4). Is ingesting leucine via BCAA's somehow different than via whey?
    Yes, it is.

In practical terms, if the lifter ate lunch at 1.00pm and consumed BCAA's, (or whey) before his workout at 5.00pm, the workout finished at 7.00pm at which time he consumed more BCAA's or whey, does that mean he, ideally, should not eat dinner until 10.00pm?
    BCAAs =/= whey, which is the problem with your premise. The lifter should eat after he trains. Whey is food, BCAA is not.

Thanks Jordan.

This is something I've been thinking about recently, BCAA's and protein from "real" sources.

I normally takes BCAA's pre/ post workout, whey post workout (24p), followed by a meal (~43p/117c/6f) maybe 30-40 later -- is this intelligent or am I doing it wrong? Or maybe it doesn't even matter?

I would not take whey in addition to BCAAs post workout unless they whey you're using is underdosed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I would not take whey in addition to BCAAs post workout unless they whey you're using is underdosed.
    Thanks Jordan. So would you keep the BCAA's and ditch the whey? Or vice-versa?

ON whey says it has 5.5g BCAA's for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmi View Post
    Thanks Jordan. So would you keep the BCAA's and ditch the whey? Or vice-versa?

ON whey says it has 5.5g BCAA's for what it's worth.
    Either way would be fine.

Hi, the inbetween meals administration of BCAA is super interesting, but how long does it actually prolong protein synthesis?

If we reach protein refractory period 3 hours after eating a high protein meal, and we administer 5g of BCAA, protein synthesis will happen again, but how long? And does the protein synthesis from
    the bcaa also induce a protein refractory period?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jbenoza View Post
    Hi, the inbetween meals administration of BCAA is super interesting, but how long does it actually prolong protein synthesis?
    It doesn't prolong it. It makes another one.

If we reach protein refractory period 3 hours after eating a high protein meal, and we administer 5g of BCAA, protein synthesis will happen again, but how long?
    ~30min or so

And does the protein synthesis from the bcaa also induce a protein refractory period?
    Nope.