starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bloods Results OK except HbA1C

Default Bloods Results OK except HbA1C

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan I just got some blood results everything looks good but Hba1c result=62 which technically states I'm Type 2 diabetes.

Doctor requested a stand alone re-test of HBa1c

Although I'm overweight with high body fight I train very hard and strength is progressing the best it has ever been. Fat loss has been slow and steady! I'm amazed since I have no symptoms...

Stats
    My weight 230lb, hight 5'7
    Lifts one rep: squat 400lb x2
    bench 235lb X 3
    deadlift 400lb
    Press: 150lb 5 rep max
    Intermediate programming HLM
    Been training for 3 years last two years have only been serious.

Throughout my training cycle last 12!months I have been following your macros for recomposition.

My biggest downfall have been the sources of my macros not clean and my lack of conditioning. Just found out that you actually sometimes prescribe more than two hiit session a week. Been doing three last two weeks with no issues infact I'm recovering much better. And diet is 100% from clean sources: brown rice/pasta grilled chicken/veg/ etc no more desserts or kFC to fill macros.

My question is: currently following recomposition/fat loss macros from your article. What possible modification could I make to accommodate my diabetes type2? my fasting glucose is currently around 6-7mmol in mornings? Should I just keep going with clean macros?

Your help is much appreciated here Jordan...many thanks

I assume you mean 6.2%. How old are you and what has your bodyweight been doing over the last month? Also, what's your waist?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I assume you mean 6.2%. How old are you and what has your bodyweight been doing over the last month? Also, what's your waist?
    No sorry Jordan double checked the DCCT% is 7.8

Just turned 35
    I haven't measured my waist from naval but trousers is 42inch

I have been using the 13xbodyweight macros for recompostion. My body weight was just stable. However after frustration the last two weeks I started to change macros

Before

250p/300c/85f for everyday my body weight did change slightly by 0.5kg but simply was not moving for long time after that.

So after frustration and also worried about glucose level after finding out last week.
    I changed to

275p/150c/125f off days

250p/250c/95f on training days

The above have moved my body weight from 108kg to 106.2kg now

And also much better glucose fasting reading this morning was 6.4mmol the best it has ever been since finding out about week ago.

Yea I would advise losing body fat and I suspect this will improve. Keep it up.

I am going to share a bit about my wife as it is relevant. I wish she trained, alas she does not and I will never be one of those guys that encourages my significant other to weight train, that has to be her desire and decision. That said, she swims regularly (she was a collegiate swimmer). Several years ago, she was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and placed on meds with virtually no other instructions other than the slight admonishment to lose weight via "walking more." They also set her up with a nutritionist, but the advice there was in my opinion flawed, at best. My wife was pissed about the diagnosis and started researching. She got her diet under control and her nutrition in order, started exercising and lost about 45 pounds over time. She has kept the weight off and continues to be active. 2 years ago, they stopped the meds. Her endocrinologist (my wife also has Hashimotos) has expressed marvel and disbelief and has declared that she is no longer a diabetic. She has further stated that my wife is the only patient she has that has been able to "cure herself."

From what I understand about Type 2 diabetes, there is a biological and environmental factor. My wife had gestational diabetes when she was pregnant (18 years ago--she's 47 now) and was told then that she would some day most likely be a diabetic. From what I understand as well, Type 2 Diabetes is preventable and "curable" one just needs to get their nutrition and activity levels in order and be consistent with these over the long term. I recognize I am a laymen and this is just a one off, but I remember when she was diagnosed all of the research we did pointed to these conclusions. Unfortunately, we also read a majority of the literature that seemed to be geared more towards being able to "have one's cake and eat it too" even though they were diabetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Yea I would advise losing body fat and I suspect this will improve. Keep it up.
    Thanks Jordan will continue with fat loss and continue intensity with training....it's already improving just by adding two hiit. I have set up slightly complex HLM for the fat loss to keep putting weight on the bar:

2 weeks rotation.

Week1(Max effort heavy)
    Heavy day
    Squats 1x1-3 @90% or more +10lb 170kg
    Bench 1x1-3 @90% or more +5lb 100kg
    Deadlift 1x1-3 @90% or more +10lb 175kg

Light
    Squats 2x5 60-80% of maximum effort heavy
    Press 1x1-3 2x5 backoff
    Chins 3xf

Medium
    Squats 3x5 80% of maximum effort heavy
    Bench 3x5 80% of maximum effort heavy
    Power cleans 3x2

Week2 (volume Heavy week)
    Heavy day
    Squats 3x5 85% of max effort heavy(week 1 heavy)
    Bench 3x5 85% of max effort heavy(week 1 heavy)
    Deadlift 1x5 85% of max effort heavy(week 1 heavy)

Light
    60-80%
    Press 1x1-3 2x5 backoff
    Chins

Medium
    Squats 3x5 90% of volume heavy
    Bench 3x5 90% of volume heavy
    Power cleans 3x2

-----
    What is the lowest amount of carbohydrate I can get away with while keeping the intensity on off days? My weight is about 235lb at the moment?

On training days I'm using macros for fat loss which about 200 carbs for my weight. Just not too sure about off days?

Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    From what I understand about Type 2 diabetes, there is a biological and environmental factor.
    Yes, a myriad of factors from both.

From what I understand as well, Type 2 Diabetes is preventable and "curable" one just needs to get their nutrition and activity levels in order and be consistent with these over the long term
    This is incorrect. Some variants have a much stronger genetic component or elements of insulin deficiency and no amount of good livin' will prevent it. Kind of like obesity, ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by Ice-man View Post
    Thanks Jordan will continue with fat loss and continue intensity with training....it's already improving just by adding two hiit. I have set up slightly complex HLM for the fat loss to keep putting weight on the bar:

2 weeks rotation.

Week1(Max effort heavy)
    Heavy day
    Squats 1x1-3 @90% or more +10lb 170kg
    Bench 1x1-3 @90% or more +5lb 100kg
    Deadlift 1x1-3 @90% or more +10lb 175kg

Light
    Squats 2x5 60-80% of maximum effort heavy
    Press 1x1-3 2x5 backoff
    Chins 3xf

Medium
    Squats 3x5 80% of maximum effort heavy
    Bench 3x5 80% of maximum effort heavy
    Power cleans 3x2

Week2 (volume Heavy week)
    Heavy day
    Squats 3x5 85% of max effort heavy(week 1 heavy)
    Bench 3x5 85% of max effort heavy(week 1 heavy)
    Deadlift 1x5 85% of max effort heavy(week 1 heavy)

Light
    60-80%
    Press 1x1-3 2x5 backoff
    Chins

Medium
    Squats 3x5 90% of volume heavy
    Bench 3x5 90% of volume heavy
    Power cleans 3x2

-----
    What is the lowest amount of carbohydrate I can get away with while keeping the intensity on off days? My weight is about 235lb at the moment?

On training days I'm using macros for fat loss which about 200 carbs for my weight. Just not too sure about off days?
    This is definitively consult territory.

Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    I am going to share a bit about my wife as it is relevant. I wish she trained, alas she does not and I will never be one of those guys that encourages my significant other to weight train, that has to be her desire and decision. That said, she swims regularly (she was a collegiate swimmer). Several years ago, she was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and placed on meds with virtually no other instructions other than the slight admonishment to lose weight via "walking more." They also set her up with a nutritionist, but the advice there was in my opinion flawed, at best. My wife was pissed about the diagnosis and started researching. She got her diet under control and her nutrition in order, started exercising and lost about 45 pounds over time. She has kept the weight off and continues to be active. 2 years ago, they stopped the meds. Her endocrinologist (my wife also has Hashimotos) has expressed marvel and disbelief and has declared that she is no longer a diabetic. She has further stated that my wife is the only patient she has that has been able to "cure herself."

From what I understand about Type 2 diabetes, there is a biological and environmental factor. My wife had gestational diabetes when she was pregnant (18 years ago--she's 47 now) and was told then that she would some day most likely be a diabetic. From what I understand as well, Type 2 Diabetes is preventable and "curable" one just needs to get their nutrition and activity levels in order and be consistent with these over the long term. I recognize I am a laymen and this is just a one off, but I remember when she was diagnosed all of the research we did pointed to these conclusions. Unfortunately, we also read a majority of the literature that seemed to be geared more towards being able to "have one's cake and eat it too" even though they were diabetic.
    Thank you for your input I doubt what I'm experiencing is similar to your wife there is large genetic components;

today I had a GLUCOSE tolerance test, to confirm diabetes and guess what? My results where better than average??? They said they are amazed on my results my body basically cleared all glucose within 90minute of digestion?

My fasting glucose seems impaired however my post-eating seems better than average?

Doctor also mentioned about fasting glucose being impaired due to genetics as Jordan always mentions.

Thanks to training they where also amazed at my perfect cholesterol given my weight...,however I'm very strong training is going well... Just Set PR on press. I'm not sure what's happening but training has done me a lot of good in terms of health.

Jordon will definitely contact you regarding consultation. Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ice-man View Post
    Thank you for your input I doubt what I'm experiencing is similar to your wife there is large genetic components;

today I had a GLUCOSE tolerance test, to confirm diabetes and guess what? My results where better than average??? They said they are amazed on my results my body basically cleared all glucose within 90minute of digestion?

My fasting glucose seems impaired however my post-eating seems better than average?

Doctor also mentioned about fasting glucose being impaired due to genetics as Jordan always mentions.

Thanks to training they where also amazed at my perfect cholesterol given my weight...,however I'm very strong training is going well... Just Set PR on press. I'm not sure what's happening but training has done me a lot of good in terms of health.

Jordon will definitely contact you regarding consultation. Many thanks
    Sorry Jordan do you know what could cause someone otherwise healthy training strong person would have impaired fasting glucose, yet Postprandial perfect text book slightly better than average in terms of glucose clearance? ? You are absolutely right about the genetic component as doctor seem have said similar to what you said...when I told him about training background etc.

"He said sometimes no matter how healthy or strong or even athletic ability one has its his genetics that dictates theses issues most of the times"

starting strength coach development program
    I haven't seen it yet, but I think it's possible but likely to be a testing error more likely. What was your fasting glucose?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast