starting strength gym

Thread: Pushing Head Through on the Press

Default Pushing Head Through on the Press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Just wondering if you can clarify something for me. A few months back you had a post on instagram about how to press, where you wrote:

Resist the urge to "push your head through" or push it forward, as both of these compromise mechanical advantage of the shoulder girdle. Rather, stay "back" and continue to press upwards and slightly back on the barbell.
    Someone asked about it in the comments and you said that putting your head through takes your chest out of the movement and limits weight on the bar.

However, in your recent training videos you appear to be actively getting your head forward as soon as the bar clears your head. First I wondered if your thoughts on this had changed since then but I went back and looked at the actual press that had been used to illustrate that post and realized that your form looked the same as the recent presses. So I guess I don't understand what you mean about not pushing your head through, since to me it looks like that's what you're doing.

I wouldn't cue "head through", but rather stay back until the bar has cleared the sticking point. My style of pressing results in my head coming through without any active cue, but I try to stay back until it clears the sticking point.