starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I can't figure out how to program Deadlifts

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    If it really is a recovery issue like you think, then this could be a good opportunity to modify your squatting routine so that you can plan your deadlift on days when your legs are fresh. One idea is you might try squatting on a heavy-medium-light scheme and deadlift on the third day. After a few weeks of that, you will know if it helped get your deadlift moving again, and you can switch back to your normal squatting routine.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    If it really is a recovery issue like you think, then this could be a good opportunity to modify your squatting routine so that you can plan your deadlift on days when your legs are fresh. One idea is you might try squatting on a heavy-medium-light scheme and deadlift on the third day. After a few weeks of that, you will know if it helped get your deadlift moving again, and you can switch back to your normal squatting routine.
    I'm hesitant to change anything while I'm still gaining 10lbs/wk on my squat. If I don't fix my deadlift, I end up going nowhere on both lifts rather than just one. My plan, for now, is to wait until my squat stalls before I try any drastic changes.

My plan is to eventually move to something like this:
    Monday: Bench Volume, Press Intensity
    Wednesday: Squat Intensity, Speed Pulls (Cleans, Snatches, or Speed Deadlifts)
    Friday: Bench Intensity, Arms
    Saturday: Deadlift Intensity, Squat Volume

This doesn't have anything to do with your deadlift, but what would you be doing for press intensity?

Tom,

I've been alternating weekly pause deadlifts and regular deadlifts for a triple, not very hard (a 9 RPE), followed by a 10% less heavy back off triple. So far it's been working very. It's the first time I'm feeling like my deadlift programming is "working". I've been doing them on Wednesdays.

For press intensity, I'd use the same 5x5 ramping scheme that I use for squats. Basically, 1x5.

Awesome, Carlos. I'll be watching your deadlift progress closely. If I continue to struggle, I'll give that programming structure a shot.

The main thing I'm kicking around in my head right now, regarding deadlifts, is whether or not I want to switch to sumo. I feel like that might be the right answer, but I want to exhaust LP options on conventional deads first just to make sure I build that base of lower back strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    For press intensity, I'd use the same 5x5 ramping scheme that I use for squats. Basically, 1x5.

Awesome, Carlos. I'll be watching your deadlift progress closely. If I continue to struggle, I'll give that programming structure a shot.

The main thing I'm kicking around in my head right now, regarding deadlifts, is whether or not I want to switch to sumo. I feel like that might be the right answer, but I want to exhaust LP options on conventional deads first just to make sure I build that base of lower back strength.
    Why sumo? aren't you super duper weak with sumo?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    Why sumo? aren't you super duper weak with sumo?
    I've never given it a truly fair shot. I suppose now that I'm squatting a good deal wider that there might be more carryover between the two. There's also the part where it would be harder to over train my low back which I seem to be particularly susceptible to.

I also see most short guys having more success with it. Well, with the qualifier that they aren't long-armed bastards like Hawthorne or Gant.

Tom-
    Posted earlier in the thread about having trouble with my deadlift, and thought I would throw this out in relation to your problems- I am doing 5/3/1 (or 3/5/1 actually) with squats 3x a week (1 5/3/1 day and 2 additional days on press days with 10 @ 40%, 10 @ 50%, and 10 @ 60% of my training max. Low weight, was hoping for 30 perfect reps practicing technique). Skipped those extra sets and on deadlift day pulled 435 for 5 singles. Not a PR but definitely quicker and easier than it has been with the lighter weights in previous cycles. Lending credence to the earlier theory that mulitple squatting sessions were hurting your deadlift performance? Regardless, a bigger squat could only help your deadlift when you decide its time to train it more IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by FireCap View Post
    Regardless, a bigger squat could only help your deadlift when you decide its time to train it more IMO.
    I certainly hope you're right about that! I'll find out eventually.

starting strength coach development program
    Not sure if you ever figured out a solution to this yet, but I read a little about the Coan/Phillipi deadlift program today, and it made me think of this thread. From what I've read, people have had pretty good success with it, but it is pretty intense, so you would probably have to put your squat in maintenance mode. It's a 10 week program, think smolov, but for deads.

Here is a link to a calculator that will pretty much lay the entire program out for you, if you're interested:
    http://tsampa.org/training/scripts/c...lipi_deadlift/

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast