starting strength gym

Thread: Question about the Texas Method

Default Question about the Texas Method

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I've been running 5/3/1 for the last few months but I think I left a little faster progression to be had so I'm looking to start TM this upcoming week. My question basically is how do I base the starting weights on my lifts? Currently my 1rm are:
    Squat 285
    DL 300
    Bench 205
    Press 125~130
    Clean 125

Basically I am looking for how far to spread my volume day and intensity day weight wise. I think I am going to dial the weights back a bit to get used to the volume at first. Would anyone with experience with this program please give me advice on the program? This is how I was thinking to set it up.
    Monday
    Squat 5x5 225
    Bench 5x5 170
    DL 1x5 275
    Wednesday
    Squat 2x5 185
    Press 3x5 115
    Back ext. 5x10
    Chins 3x?
    Friday
    Squat 1x5 250
    Bench 3x1 205
    Clean 5x3 115

I will probably keep volume day the same for a few weeks and focus on Fridays improving then adjust VD normally. Does this make sense? Thanks in advance. Btw stats are:
    Male 33
    6'3 190

You should consider something a little simpler first, such as Starting Strength.

I would do that but the reason I switched is that my job is brutal on my legs. I stand and walk around at a quick pace for 50+ hours a week. Squatting heavy 3x a week was killing me. I like the recovery time that 5/3/1 gave me but I want to progress a little faster thays all.

5x5 squats are not going to be any more fun the next day than 3x5. In fact, they are worse. Why don't you try taking a light day on Wednesday, or just squatting Monday and Friday? The Texas Method requires quite a bit of recovery.

There are some people who advocate doing 3x5 for the volume day. Honestly, 5x5 is absolutely brutal especially if you do it at 90% of your 5RM. I think most people wind up adjusting the percentage to somewhere in the 80-90% range if they do 5x5. I would start it at 80-85% and see how it goes the first week (maybe like 210 for you). You can always adjust the first week. Don't worry about increasing the volume weight every single week. I like the idea of upping it every three weeks or so. Your intensity day weight seems fine to start. KSC has some really good info in his forum if you haven't checked that out already.

Awesome thanks for the input. I think I am going to try to start this on Monday. I had an idea about volume day for squats too. What do you think about starting at 210 like you suggest but run VD as a three week cycle. So basically it would break down like this:

Sets/reps

Volume Day:
    Week 1 - 3x5 210
    Week 2 - 4x5 210
    Week 3 - 5x5 210
    Week 1 - 3x5 215

So every three weeks up the weight and roll back to 3x5 to start cycle over. I'd do something similar for bench and press as well. For DL I'm thinking of starting at 270 1x5 with a single at +10lbs at the end of the session. Then increasing by 5lbs every week. Sound good? I really appreciate the feedback also. Thanks.

when volume day is constantly changing, it makes it more difficult to identify programming issues

not saying it couldn't work, just that i prefer K.I.S.S.

I hear ya there. I am all about keeping it simple. I just have a hard time finding just right when it comes to training. I find that it's either too easy or impossible. I'm still working on finding that balance that is so crucial to making gains.

Your volume plan doesn't sound too crazy. Give it a shot and see how it works. IMO, the purpose of the volume day is to support the intensity day, so don't get too bent out of shape if your numbers on the volume day don't climb super fast. As long as you make progress on the intensity day, the program is working.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks. I think I'm going to give it a run an see how it goes. Starting this Monday and I would like to run it for at least 3 months to give it a chance. It's not that exciting or heavy but I might start a log to keep track and jot notes about diet.