starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Programming for a Diet

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    You aren't testing my patience. I volunteered to do the forum to answer honest questions about training because I like helping people and I like training. I delete stupid questions. Feel free to ask away. My only request is that you buy any of my information products that I eventually publish and that you spread the word about my gym in the Houston area to those who might benefit from it. Capitalism and honesty are not mutually exclusive.

To answer your question, yes, I started off my program with singles across, and when it got too much I started just working up to one heavy single.

In several months on a program like that, KSC, were you maintaining strength and just shedding weight for an upcoming event, or were your lifts going up as well?

I was adding strength and shedding weight for the N.A.S.A. Grand Nationals. I took 1st place in the 198 lbs division. I started my diet around 225 lbs and got down to 192 about 2 weeks before the meet. I paid a guy alot of money for the diet that I was on. His name is Nathan Payton. He also does the diet for Brian Shaw (current Worlds Strongest Man) and Travis Ortmayer along with lots of other lesser known bodybuilders, strongmen, actors, etc. He took Travis down from like 320 to 295 and he set all kinds of personal bests and was a shredded monster. Saw Travis do 585 x 10 on a deficit deadlift standing on 100 lb plates and a couple of mats.....this was on a saturday after he and some of the other mastadons got done doing their event training.

Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    I was adding strength and shedding weight for the N.A.S.A. Grand Nationals. I took 1st place in the 198 lbs division. I started my diet around 225 lbs and got down to 192 about 2 weeks before the meet. I paid a guy alot of money for the diet that I was on. His name is Nathan Payton. He also does the diet for Brian Shaw (current Worlds Strongest Man) and Travis Ortmayer along with lots of other lesser known bodybuilders, strongmen, actors, etc. He took Travis down from like 320 to 295 and he set all kinds of personal bests and was a shredded monster. Saw Travis do 585 x 10 on a deficit deadlift standing on 100 lb plates and a couple of mats.....this was on a saturday after he and some of the other mastadons got done doing their event training.
    I have to ask...what did Brian Shaw diet down from? Andre the giant is the only guy I can remember being athletic and as massive as him.

This also looks like the place where I must ask, once again, when the new book is coming out.

Speaking of which, Andy, any timetable on your book?

I have no idea on Brian. I have never met the guy and I don't really follow the sport, so I can't tell you any specifics. I would love to get the book out by the end of the year. Maybe you can all buy it for yourselves as Christmas Gifts???

Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    I have no idea on Brian. I have never met the guy and I don't really follow the sport, so I can't tell you any specifics. I would love to get the book out by the end of the year. Maybe you can all buy it for yourselves as Christmas Gifts???
    I was hoping to treat myself to a Memorial Day gift, but I do love Christmas.

Won't be Memorial Day....sorry.

I know people can hate with a passion when you try to modify their programs so you can delete this if you would rather. The iteration you gave just neglects a few lifts I care about and includes some I like a heretic don't do (cleans, GMs).

I was also wondering: can press and bench alternate weekly or should the bench be the sole focus with just volume press on wednesday? Also volume press is not "light" right?

What I was thinking of:

Mon
    Squat 5 x 5
    Bench 5 x 5
    Weighted Chins 3 x 5
    RDL 1-2 x 8-12

Wed
    Squat 3 x 5 - light
    Press 5 x 5
    Chest Supported Row 3 x 5

Fri
    Squat 5 x 1
    Bench 5 x 1
    Deadlifts 1 x 1

Thanks again for your time and your help.

starting strength coach development program
    Oh and lastly approximately what weight would you start the singles at relative to one's 3x5 sets? Thank you so much.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast