starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Programming for a Diet

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    You taking pre-orders? If so, sign me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Subsistence View Post
    I know people can hate with a passion when you try to modify their programs so you can delete this if you would rather. The iteration you gave just neglects a few lifts I care about and includes some I like a heretic don't do (cleans, GMs).

I was also wondering: can press and bench alternate weekly or should the bench be the sole focus with just volume press on wednesday? Also volume press is not "light" right?

What I was thinking of:

Mon
    Squat 5 x 5
    Bench 5 x 5
    Weighted Chins 3 x 5
    RDL 1-2 x 8-12

Wed
    Squat 3 x 5 - light
    Press 5 x 5
    Chest Supported Row 3 x 5

Fri
    Squat 5 x 1
    Bench 5 x 1
    Deadlifts 1 x 1

Thanks again for your time and your help.
    Bench and Press could alternate weekly. The program you laid out is just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Subsistence View Post
    Oh and lastly approximately what weight would you start the singles at relative to one's 3x5 sets? Thank you so much.
    I don't generally launch people right into singles from the SS model. Singles are usually started just over 5RM. This makes the first few weeks of singles "easy" but that is usually intentional. It provides a nice mental break while still pushing more weight onto the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by raw32 View Post
    You taking pre-orders? If so, sign me up.
    I'll let you know. Promise.

Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    I don't generally launch people right into singles from the SS model. Singles are usually started just over 5RM. This makes the first few weeks of singles "easy" but that is usually intentional. It provides a nice mental break while still pushing more weight onto the bar.
    My press stalled at 175 X 5 and Rip had me move onto 5 singles starting at 185. I've gone up 1-1.5lbs per week since and am now only 2.5lbs shy of my previously tested 1RM and doing well with the progression.

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    My press stalled at 175 X 5 and Rip had me move onto 5 singles starting at 185. I've gone up 1-1.5lbs per week since and am now only 2.5lbs shy of my previously tested 1RM and doing well with the progression.
    Interesting. I have never talked with Rip about this subject in particular, but it appears that we basically do the exact same thing. My guess is that the singles at 185 were kinda of a nice "break" from the 5rm at 175???

They were a nice break, but psycholigically so more than physically. I think most would agree that the press is the least forgiving in terms of technique when it gets heavy. I wasn’t getting under the bar quickly enough, but this wasn’t obviously apparent on weights as light as were used for volume day. I train alone and so without a good training partner sometimes it’s difficult to get reinforcement on form quickly enough to prevent you missing a rep. When I had a single set of 5 for intensity day and I missed it I was then stuck for a week before I could practice again and work on putting it right. I think I psyched myself out of it a couple of times as a result. The singles have helped me as much in terms of technique because I get to treat each rep as a standalone effort. And if I miss one because of technique flaws I can put it right the very next rep.

Was glad to revisit this thread three weeks later and see some additional quality input. Thanks to Subsistence for continuing to ask questions that I've had.

As I mentioned in the first post, I had been running TM. Figuring out the right squat volume and intensity while on a substantial deficit has been a bit of a challenge. I am still squatting three times a week, twice heavy and once light. I've dropped the set volume down substantially, as well, and so far things have gone decently well. If I'm particularly dragging ass, I'll do a triples instead of 5s.

I've continued pressing three times a week, alternating bench and overhead. Again, same frequency and intensity, but slightly less volume. Deadlifts remain at once a week, now on my "light" squat day rather than on a heavy day. My deadlift is actually improving a bit while everything else is mostly maintaining (335x5 last week).

Diet-wise, I've dramatically reduced caloric intake and carbs especially, while obviously upping the corresponding proportion of protein. I'm a miserable bastard, cranky and gloomy. My billable hours have plummeted, libido basically disappeared, and I am probably pretty unpleasant to be around.

All that said, I'm three weeks in, six weeks to go. Seven pounds down, about twelve to go. I hate this shit, but thanks to Andy for providing some useful feedback. Being able to actually continue lifting has made this diet slightly less intolerable than it would have otherwise been.

And, finally, cheat meals are joyous. I miss whisk(e)y. Would like to eat one cow, wrapped in bacon and smothered in bleu cheese.

Furthermore, for Subsistence -- I've also added similar accessory work, due to decreased volume on the main lifts. Weighted chins and dips, RDLs, rows, and a few others. It's working for me thus far.

starting strength coach development program
    Did you do lighter wednesday presses (as per standard TM?). This has volume presses twice a week, and it feels weird to me to have more volume on a cut than when bulking.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast