starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: another 5 3 1 question regarding chins/dips

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    my only experience was with the exact advice i gave JM3 -- i've never done grease the groove

we were forced to do a max set of pull-ups after every meal in boot camp, and i added about 10 pull-ups to my max by the end

Quote Originally Posted by DRice311 View Post
    If you'd get 60+ a day, then you are more proficient then the OP, and probably don't need GtG. He said in his original post he'd like to increase his pullup/chin capacity so he could do the 45-50 reps as assistance recommended by wendler to avoid creating imbalances in the shoulder.
    Not necessarily.. if he can bang out 3 sets of 7-8 after the main lifts on SS, he can probably bang out 10 clean ones fresh. More importantly though, even 5 reps everytime you see the chinup bar is going to add up to be a LOT. The Wendler suggestion he's referring to means 50 chinups per workout.. which is fairly hard if your top set is 8.

SR, doing a shitload of chinups throughout the day is similar enough to GTG. you're way stronger than me so it's probably best to heed your advice, but my chinups went up steadily without taking them to failure and leaving a rep in the tank. done to failure you gain like 2 reps on your top set, but lose more on subsequent ones

Quote Originally Posted by DRice311 View Post

Also, OP probably has a ways to go before he is at risk of overtraining his back doing unweighted pullups, as would I - no offense OP.
    None taken- Im appreciative of all the help - particularly from Stonerider who I have called an idiot in several contexts many times- and he is very gracious and helpful in his advice- Im humbled.

Your assistance routine makes me wonder if you have a job or a family... how long are your workouts?

Quote Originally Posted by JM3 View Post
    None taken- Im appreciative of all the help - particularly from Stonerider who I have called an idiot in several contexts many times- and he is very gracious and helpful in his advice- Im humbled.

Your assistance routine makes me wonder if you have a job or a family... how long are your workouts?
    I have both - I get my workouts during the week done during my lunch hour . . . errr . . lunch hour and 1/2. Just to clarify as well - I listed 10 reps for dumbell and arnold press, that is up to 10 reps. I usually get between 7-10.

starting strength coach development program
    I've used this with good results... http://www.kbnj.com/FighterPullupByPavel.htm

The GTG program works well too... 1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4 etc...
    Last edited by Meshuggah; 04-18-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12