starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another 5 3 1 question regarding chins/dips

Default another 5 3 1 question regarding chins/dips

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I guess I should be over at another board posting all this 5 3 1 shit- but I wanted to get opinions.

For assistance work on Press days Ive decided to do chins and dips for the first month at least- Im never able to do 10 honest chins in a row- 7-8 is usually where I end up.
    and with dips I am usually around the same.

In my quest to get the prescribed 45- 50 chins from the manual - I went ahead and killed the last few on the graviton for dips. and did lat pull downs (needed 10- did 16 at 80lbs) just to get the reps.

Is this stupid? Should I just do what I can do and ditch the idea of adding assistance to the assistance

Should the turn of phrase needed to desrcibe it be telling me something?

Anyway- my only goal right now is bodyweight press (200lbs) for reps and 4 plates for reps on the side for deadlift. My bench sucks because I dont work it- so trying to address that to the extent it will drive press- assistance on those days is dumbbell incline and dumbbell rows.

If anyone has suggestions on how to structure assistance on Press day to help me reach that goal Id greatly appreciate it. I like super setting chins and dips- but not attached to it. Thanks

For the chins, I would try to hit 10 on all sets. use the lat pull down and just raise weights each time you do them. I would also alternate with rows.

I'm thinking about adding 5-3-1 for a back excersize as well, something like

press 5-3-1
    bench 5x10
    rows 5-3-1
    chins 5x10

and switch on the bench day. I don't think it would push me so much more as to take away from the other lifts.

put a pull-up bar in your home

do chin-ups after every meal and every time you walk by it for 1 set to failure

in 1-3 months you will be able to do a lot

Thanks trying that now. I actually have a squat rack in my studio. But my clients complain about my calluses - i should do the grease the groove thing.

On my 3rd set and just cant figure out how this bbb helps with top.end strength. I know a little hypertrophy is good. But...seems like i should hit the shoulders or tricps more..

I agree with Stonerider on greasing the groove to increase your pullup/chinup capacity. In the meantime, if it were me - I would just do what you can do and try to add reps each workout/cycle/whatever until you get the volume.

There are alot of 5-3-1 threads lately. When I started 5/3/1, my shoulder press was pretty shitty. I can now do reps at my bodyweight fairly easily (6-8/set)

For my assistance on bench and press day, I basically created 2 templates for each and rotate them each cycle. I know I'm opening myself up to get ripped here, but if you care - here is what I do for press:

Assistance A:
    2 sets at 65%
    3 sets (10 reps) dumbell press at 40% (per dumbell)
    3 sets lateral raise (12 reps) at 20% (per dumbell)
    3 sets face pulls (10 reps) at 75%
    3 sets reverse flys (10 reps) at 65%
    Shrugs

Assistance B:
    2 sets at 65%
    3 sets (10 reps) arnold press at 35% (per dumbell)
    3 sets (12 reps) front raise at 20% (per dumbell)
    3 sets (10 reps) handstand pushups (crossfit shit, but I like them)
    3 sets (12 reps) bentover raise at 25% (per dumbell)
    shrugs

I have found this to be good for adding volume for strength, but also hypertrophy (if you care about that). I don't flip flop press and bench assistance (no reason, I just don't), and I do pullups as assistance on bench day (1 pull for every press), then again on an off day. On that off day, I actually do quite a bit of additional back work including heavy weighted pullups/chinups and multiple row and pull variations. I also do some tricep work through the week as assistance as well.

If grease the groove works so well, it doesn't take away from the other lifts? Your upper back is impossible to overtrain?

Just to clarify - I don't do grease the groove. Like Stonerider recommended, I would do this in the off time, not during his heavy lifting for press and bench. I do pullups when doing my assistance work (on a 1 to 1 ratio).

Also, OP probably has a ways to go before he is at risk of overtraining his back doing unweighted pullups, as would I - no offense OP.

My chinning strength is pretty much the same as OP's, with GTG I'd probably nail 60+ chinups every day. I don't think this would overtrain my upper back, might give my forearms and biceps a lot to do though

but what's the end goal? just more chinups? more chinups in your top sets to get more volume in during the work out so you dont have to do GTG anymore? weighted chinups?
    Last edited by skipbeat; 04-17-2012 at 03:34 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by skipbeat View Post
    My chinning strength is pretty much the same as OP's, with GTG I'd probably nail 60+ chinups every day. I don't think this would overtrain my upper back, might give my forearms and biceps a lot to do though

but what's the end goal? just more chinups? more chinups in your top sets to get more volume in during the work out so you dont have to do GTG anymore? weighted chinups?
    If you'd get 60+ a day, then you are more proficient then the OP, and probably don't need GtG. He said in his original post he'd like to increase his pullup/chin capacity so he could do the 45-50 reps as assistance recommended by wendler to avoid creating imbalances in the shoulder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast