starting strength gym

View Poll Results: What were your bench press 3x5 work set weights (in pounds) at the end of SS

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • < 200

19 33.33%
  • Between 200 and 225

14 24.56%
  • Between 225 and 250

15 26.32%
  • Between 250 and 275

3 5.26%
  • > 275

6 10.53%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ending Linear Progression Bench Press Work Sets Poll

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
    I just spent a month adding sets of 1-3 reps until I got to something like 5,4,10x3, and then I was able to do 82.5kg 3x5 with ease. The weight flew up without trouble then until 95kg, so I did the same again, it only took two weeks this time, then steadily up to 110kg. To be honest I did a single set of 5 with 110kg, and repeated this weekly for 6 weeks then stopped.
    So you did one set of 5, ons set of 4 and then 10 sets of 3? Just trying to get some ideas on bench progression, that's why I'm curious.

I think it all comes down to structure and how much you are willing to eat.

When I first started friggin around with weights last summer I had absolutely no ass and weak lower back (for pressing). Worked on that shit a bit and found that if you have a base it gives you room to grow and get stronger at the rate needed for LP.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasfromSparta View Post
    So you did one set of 5, ons set of 4 and then 10 sets of 3? Just trying to get some ideas on bench progression, that's why I'm curious.
    Yes.

I simply remembered the principle, always do more than you did before, even if just 1lb or 1 rep. First try to add weight, if you cannot add weight add reps, if you cannot add reps add sets. Thus something like,
    77.5kg 5,5,5 - great, time to add weight
    80kg 5,3,1 - WTF, it's only 2.5kg more, oh well I did more weight
    80kg 5,4,3 - I didn't get 3x5 but did get more reps, all good
    80kg 5,4 - fuck this, I'll just do more sets - 3x3
    80kg - this time I won't even try to do a 5th rep in the second set, I'll just do more triples afterwards - 5,4,5x3
    80kg - same as before - 5,4,8x3
    80kg 5,4,10x3 - alright next time I should be right
    80kg 5,5,5 - awesome
    82.5kg 5,5,5 - that went up easy, wow

That's an abbreviated version but it gives you the idea. Always try to add more weight for the target reps and sets. If you can't add weight then add reps. If you can't add reps, if you physically can't get it up there for that 5th (or whatever) rep, then add sets - even just a set of 1. For example, from 5,4,4 to 5,4,4,1 would be progress.

This is not what is advised by Starting Strength, at least not my 2nd edition.

Yes.

I simply remembered the principle, always do more than you did before, even if just 1lb or 1 rep. First try to add weight, if you cannot add weight add reps, if you cannot add reps add sets. Thus something like,
    80kg - this time I won't even try to do a 5th rep in the second set, I'll just do more triples afterwards - 5,4,5x3
    80kg 5,5,5 - awesome

That's an abbreviated version but it gives you the idea. Always try to add more weight for the target reps and sets. If you can't add weight then add reps. If you can't add reps, if you physically can't get it up there for that 5th (or whatever) rep, then add sets - even just a set of 1. For example, from 5,4,4 to 5,4,4,1 would be progress.

OK thanks for the write-up, makes a lot of sense.

I got up to a 240 3 X 5, bench was one of the things that I did well on with LP.

Yes.

80kg 5,5,5 - awesome

Without wanting to incur the wrath of Hardcore SS DTFP'ers, I would say that this is a VERY sensible solution to the problem of stalling. Resets and deloads are useful but logically this also makes sense to me.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by StrongLiftMyBalls View Post
    Without wanting to incur the wrath of Hardcore SS DTFP'ers, I would say that this is a VERY sensible solution to the problem of stalling. Resets and deloads are useful but logically this also makes sense to me.
    The problem with it is if the reason you're not able to break through is because of recovery issues. You wind up with the following:

etc.

Performing a reset/deload gives your muscles a chance to recover, and then you might be able to make some more gains.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234