starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Changing to intermediate?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yes, I admit that I've been fribbling with my weight, I also haven't slept so much and I find it kind of hard to sleep for some reason. I have a really hard time getting some fat too. But I did weigh about 120lbs(I was skinny THEN) when I started the program so I've actually gained a lot of weight(I know it's also because of puberty and shit). And I'll try to gain some more.
    Are you serious when you say "start from scratch"? I feel that would be unnessecary as I've made progress.

When I said start from scratch I meant pretend like you've never trained before and figure out your starting weight exactly as the book prescribes. Then do the program exactly as the book prescribes. You need to give the program an honest run before worrying about front squats, light days etc. Chins are ok though.

Quote Originally Posted by raw32 View Post
    When I said start from scratch I meant pretend like you've never trained before and figure out your starting weight exactly as the book prescribes. Then do the program exactly as the book prescribes. You need to give the program an honest run before worrying about front squats, light days etc. Chins are ok though.
    He did the program. His lifts are fine for his weight and height. I don't know where you come from but in my country people around 5'7 look fine at 150. No builder type of fine but fine. Ed Coan was 165 pounds and is also 5'7 . Do I have to find his lifts at that weight class to basically shit on the stupid 3 pounds per inch theory?

Advice to OP: Go intermediate gain weight at a normal rate. Enjoy progress. Program depends on goals. Keep it simple.

Where have you been ToyStory? Your particular brand of ridiculous has been missed on these threads. Welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by PunchSlap View Post
    The BMI calculators says I'm normalweigh(I know that BMI tests have their limitations). If you would give me an example of what is "skinny" then I'd be able to see how I am in comparison to the example.
    Anyways, I'd like to gain more weight for the sake of the program and you don't need to tell me to do that because I'm already trying. What you could do is give me examples on HOW. I do drink much milk, maybe not a gallon, but still much more than the average dude.
    And for the moment I think I'll stick with Dillmans proposal and chins every other workout. Just dropping wednesdays to 80% of monday squat, and I'm going to put on more weight in the bar on friday too, right(just making sure)?
    I'm not going to read 2 more pages of Kyle and a bunch of other people telling you how skinny you are, and how you're actually not eating enough. First of all, you could try to get a small meal in between classes during the morning and afternoon, if that's really the issue.

The real issue with you being skinny is likely the fact that you're 16, and at 170 cm, you're probably still growing, which is where your excess calories are going. Most dudes don't start to fill out until they're close to their adult height. I'm sure you look lean and jacked compared with your classmates, and that's fine. If you've stalled on LP, by all means go to a periodized program. Just know that if you have yet to get your major growth spurt, it might be worth it to revisit LP afterwards to get some mass gain.

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    Oy. "They" in that video is only Shaeffer and, well, he's wrong. For one thing even BMI is a better measure than his linear approximation. the 3lbs/inch rule would mean:
    180lbs at 5', 216 at 6' and 252lbs at 7'. At six feet it is not unreasonable, but hardly a min. at 5' it's way high and at 7' it's low.
    Also, if you look at the earlier parts of the video you'll note they're talking about competitive powerlifters and the sacrifices they have to make etc.

For general purposes even Rip says that you don't need to be over 20% bf for SS. He puts a ball park target of 15% in the clarification article. Should OP gain 10 or 20 lbs as his lifts keep going up, yes. Should he strive to weigh 200lbs ? only if he's squatting more than 4 plates or grows another few inches (which he very well may at his age).
    They say to even look like you lift weights 3/# is a bare minimum and while its Shaeffer who does the talking, they all chime in with "yes" and "mhmm"

i dont think he needs to be 210, i'm at about 70 inches 200, but i think that at 180 he would look better and lift more weight

Quote Originally Posted by ToyStory View Post
    He did the program. His lifts are fine for his weight and height. I don't know where you come from but in my country people around 5'7 look fine at 150. No builder type of fine but fine. Ed Coan was 165 pounds and is also 5'7 . Do I have to find his lifts at that weight class to basically shit on the stupid 3 pounds per inch theory?

Advice to OP: Go intermediate gain weight at a normal rate. Enjoy progress. Program depends on goals. Keep it simple.
    a few things on this.

For a year on the "program" he did not do the program if he is 150.

Ed Coan was a competitive power lifter

Ed Coan weighed between 181 and 239 during his competition days

Ed Coan was caught using performance enhancing drugs 3 times during his career and is banned from competition.

I dont know what the OP's goals are, but if he is on here looking for help, just about everyone says gain weight except for the bodybuilding crowd. I have nothing against bodybuilders, but this is simply not the program to be on if you're concerned about your abzz

Quote Originally Posted by PunchSlap View Post
    I'm 175cm/5,7 feet. I'm not really skinny, I'm actually quite muscular TBH. I eat as much as I can and yes I have been resetting my lifts several times, so I suppose I should move on to the "advanced intermediate", but how do I do that? Is it like I explained in the first post?
    Are you 175cm or 5'7"? they are different heights. 175cm is around over 5'9" (nearly 5'10). 5'7" is nearly 168cm.

If you are 68kg at 5'7" you are not skinny, but you are not 'big', but 68kg at 5'10", yes you are skinny.
    However, you do say you're 16, you are still going to put a lot of weight on naturally.
    Weight (pun intended) till you can get a few more years then look at your weight.
    I agree, at 16 you probably are trying to put as much size on as possible, any teenager I know lives on a seafood diet, they see food it and eat it.
    And well done finding this program at 16. Many people including myself wish we had found this program many years ago.
    Last edited by toonttm; 05-07-2012 at 02:46 AM.

Meh, fuck it - can't be arsed replying to toystory.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by toonttm View Post
    Are you 175cm or 5'7"? they are different heights. 175cm is around over 5'9" (nearly 5'10). 5'7" is nearly 168cm.
    Ha! nice catch. (though your math looks about an inch off also)
    175 / 2.54 = 68.897 so it's 5' 9"

68.9 / 12 = 5.74 so apparently when he said "5,7" he actually meant it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast