starting strength gym

Thread: Grip on Speed Deadlifts with Bands

Default Grip on Speed Deadlifts with Bands

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've added bands to my speed deadlift work. The band I am using adds around 80 pounds at the top. I started light at 245 + 1 band. This is my third week, and I did 255 + the band.

Today especially, my DOH grip is being challenged around the 9th set (I do 15x1). Since I am on a 30-second clock, I don't want to use straps.

Is using an alternating grip recommended for speed work like this, or do I need to get used to a hook grip?

alternating grip.

Also, I was curious......how do you measure the weight at the top? i.e. How do you tell exactly how much tension the band is adding?

Sounds good.

I drape the band over the bar and stand in the middle of the band like this.

The band is supposed to be 20-80 pounds, but I tested it by placing several plates in the middle where I stand and lifting the sides to the height where I pull them. I kept removing plates until the band lifted the plates off the ground. The tension will pull 2 45's off the ground.

The other option I have considered is using 2 short bands, one on each foot.

This leads me to the next question: is speed DL with bands superior to speed DL without bands?

The bands not only force you to pull faster, but I feel that they are helping me with the top portion of my deadlift. I've missed 500 three times around the knees.

whenever I miss a DL, it is during the first one or two inches. If I get beyond that, I will lock it out. So, my sticking point is off the ground. Are bands helpful under these circumstances?

Not really. Speed pulls in this instance would probably be done with straight weight and even from a slight deficit. For heavy work, I would definately recommend deficit deadlifts off a 3-4 inch platform. Dead stop rack squats from low pins can also build power off of the floor for a deadlift.

starting strength coach development program
    that sounds very reasonable.
    I have done speed DL for a while and they helped a lot. I think I will try deficit speed DL. Let's see how that works.