starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on Deloading

Default Question on Deloading

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, been doing SS for 2 months of solid progression after 7 months working out with PT beforehand. I'm starting to fail my sets and need advice.

Here's my stats:

30 yrs old, 211 lbs, ~20% BF.

Current stats: SQ 195 (was 205), DL 225, Bench 160, OHP 100, Clean 100.

I eat about 3500 calories a day. The last few weeks though, I've been failing sets. My progression on Squats seems to even be dropping!

Here are my choices:

1. Get way more psycho focused on diet and sleep. Like I already eat enough, but, you know, get aspergers mode about it.

2. Deload.

3. Cut my losses and start cutting BF.

What should I do?

Those are not your only 3 choices.

If you really are eating properly and resting then your stalling could be a form issue. I'd look into getting some form checks in the technique forum or seeing a competent coach.

I'd be willing to say it's probably a form issue since you're stalling pretty early for your weight.

What about bodyfat? Should I be worried about being too high at 20%?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnytemplar View Post
    What about bodyfat? Should I be worried about being too high at 20%?
    Well, first of all how are you measuring? Most people estimate their bodyfat to be a lot less than it is. Also, what is your height?

But that being said 20% bodyfat is nothing. If you want to get strong you'll have to put on some bodyfat while you put on the muscle. It should come off pretty easily though once you've built a bunch of muscle and can lift a lot more than you do now.

You're new here, but be careful going around saying 20% BF is high lol. Most people here would love to maintain 20% without losing their lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    Well, first of all how are you measuring? Most people estimate their bodyfat to be a lot less than it is. Also, what is your height?

But that being said 20% bodyfat is nothing. If you want to get strong you'll have to put on some bodyfat while you put on the muscle. It should come off pretty easily though once you've built a bunch of muscle and can lift a lot more than you do now.

You're new here, but be careful going around saying 20% BF is high lol. Most people here would love to maintain 20% without losing their lifts.
    I take the other route, personally. I'd say, assuming that 20% is accurate, to eat to either maintain or lose some weight. 20% is high. Personally, I wish I had've done that when I started SS (somewhere between 25 and 30% bf at that point).

And there's something wrong (be it eating the wrong kinds of food [aka, inadequate protein], lack of sleep, form issues or all of the above) if you're stalling at around 200lbs. on squats, and how much food you're getting isn't it.

Eat, sleep, technique, be merry... That is all. You're not fat, dont worry about body fat %, its bullshit. Get bigger and stronger and you will look better

bodyfat % is not bullshit, especially if it matters to the person carrying it

@op
    make sure you are getting AT LEAST 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight... even getting upwards of 1.5g/lb is acceptable

post some videos to make sure you're not lifting with poor technique.. your numbers are extraordinarily low

just remember, until you are sleeping around 8 hrs, consistently eating enough protein, and staying away from metabolically demanding activities on the rest days, don't even worry about your programming

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Zahn View Post
    Eat, sleep, technique, be merry... That is all. You're not fat, dont worry about body fat %, its bullshit. Get bigger and stronger and you will look better
    If someone cares about not being fat, then body fat % is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Trei View Post
    I take the other route, personally. I'd say, assuming that 20% is accurate, to eat to either maintain or lose some weight. 20% is high. Personally, I wish I had've done that when I started SS (somewhere between 25 and 30% bf at that point).

And there's something wrong (be it eating the wrong kinds of food [aka, inadequate protein], lack of sleep, form issues or all of the above) if you're stalling at around 200lbs. on squats, and how much food you're getting isn't it.
    + 1

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Zahn View Post

Obviously it's a matter of what you care about. 20% is nothing to freak out about, but if you don't want to be a fat guy it's time to start taking notice.

i also echo the fact that 200lbs seems early to be stalling for a guy of your weight / age.

a) are you adding 5 lbs a workout on squats ?
    b) how long are you resting between sets ?
    c) how tall are you
    d) how is your progression on squats "dropping" ? "the program" doesn't support that feature.

starting strength coach development program
    Ok, bullshit was too strong a word, i just find that early in the program, one is better served achieving some strength goals. Once you have the strength the fat is easier to lose anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast