starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlifting and Texas Method

Default Deadlifting and Texas Method

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I recently switched to TM, and I'm following the template here. However, my deadlift has regressed in strength. I was able to do 405x5 before starting the program and yesterday I struggled to do 430x2.

I feel like deadlifts are being left in the dust after 5x5 squats and that a major lift is being half-assed. Should I accept the strength loss? Switch to rack pulls and haltings? Do deadlifts on intensity day? It's my favorite lift but I can't practice it to its full potential after 5x5 squats.

I appreciate any help. I wanted to reach a 500 deadlift before the end of the year but I've been struggling lately.

i think deadlifting on volume day is fucking stupid

so you could try moving it to intensity day

you could also try doing speed deadlifts on intensity day (while keeping your DL on volume day)

if all else fails, start going for triples, then doubles, then singles, then try to set PRs in triples or 5s again and repeat until you have to do some really crazy programming

you might also need more than 7 days between efforts... try 10 or 14

i'm typing this up while i sit here in nothing but a pair of crusty, smelly boxers, so take my advice with a grain of salt

i also seem to have a different perspective than most everyone else on this forum (with regards to every subject)
    Last edited by stonerider; 05-02-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stonerider View Post
    i think deadlifting on volume day is fucking stupid

so you could try moving it to intensity day

you could also try doing speed deadlifts on intensity day (while keeping your DL on volume day)

if all else fails, start going for triples, then doubles, then singles, then try to set PRs in triples or 5s again and repeat until you have to do some really crazy programming

you might also need more than 7 days between efforts... try 10 or 14
    I actually agree with all of this (minus the expletive). I only wish you hadn't added the description of your attire at the end.

Thumbs down

[QUOTE=raw32;439498]I actually agree with all of this (minus the expletive). I only wish you hadn't added the description of your attire at the end.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we dont need to hear about people starching their boxers.

I just switched to TM, and I can't be bothered making an entire post, but I have a question.

I just flicked through that T-nation article, it mentions for the intensity day to warm-up, then work up in singles or doubles to a new 5RM (or 3RM or 1RM).

Does that mean a warm-up similar to what is usually done, and then slowly add small increments of weight for singles (or doubles) until you reach your 5RM work weight, or does it mean warm-up with the normal weight structure but just use singles and doubles as you close in on the working weight. I hope that made sense.

At the moment I'm just warming up like usual and then pumping out a 5RM, which often ends up being a 6RM, courtesy of my body always surprising me.

starting strength coach development program
    Lots of people do deadlifts on Intensity Day.

@Chode: I think it means the latter version (taper off to singles and doubles as you warm up).