starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench

Default Bench

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have figured out leg drive and brought my grip in for bench press as to protect my shoulder (have had shoulder problems). I am doing greyskull LP to milk out the rest of my novice progressions. My Overhead Press is at 167.5 3x5 currently, and since I didn't bench for quite awhile, my bench is only at 205. the last few sessions I have been benching twice a week, and pressing on the middle day ( i workout 3 days a week).

My question is, do you think I should continue this scheme of 2 days benching , 1 day pressing or maybe go 3 days benching for awhile, or maybe another scheme? I really want to focus on getting my bench as high as possible for the next couple months, and I've been toying with some ideas , but have not made my mind up yet. Suggestions?

twice per week benching is fine, 3 days is probably a little excessive, and I wouldn't want to cut out my presses. There are 3 day per week bench programs out there that work, but I don't know anything about them. If you are progressing on John's program then just stay with what you are doing.

Alright, that's what I was leaning towards, but wanted a more experienced opinion. I'm just gonna stay on course. Thanks.

Just to clarify, would benching twice per week and only OHPing once per week be ok if a normal width grip was being used for bench? I've been doing it and haven't had any shoulder problems, but I'm young and just want to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by Domjo54 View Post
    Just to clarify, would benching twice per week and only OHPing once per week be ok if a normal width grip was being used for bench? I've been doing it and haven't had any shoulder problems, but I'm young and just want to clarify.
    Yes, that's fine.

Would pressing only after benching be ok? E.g. bench twice a week followed by presses. Thanks.

Not to bust your balls KSC, but I'm running SS template right now. I was considering benching twice/week every week, rather than benching 3x biweekly. Do you think my bench would drive up my press even if I only do it 1x weekly?

Do I think your bench would drive up your press if you only press once weekly?? Is that what you are asking?

Yes, it might, especially if your bench press sucks.

starting strength coach development program
    Alright..another question. My squat, press, and deadlift are all ready for intermediate programming, and I am going with texas method style of progression. The thing I am wondering is, how to program those three lifts in the texas method mold while still linearly benching twice a week?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast