starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife Says I'm too Big; Need to lose Weight...

Default Wife Says I'm too Big; Need to lose Weight...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Wife says I am starting to look too square (like spongebob), and that I look a lot better slimmer, but still muscular. I'm 5'9" -220lbs. I will start cutting back on my calorie intake, and would like a workout recommendation while cutting calories. I know I will lose some strength, but obviously like to keep as much as possible.

I currently work out twice a week (Monday/Thursday) due to work and a busy family life, and have been following a linear type workout.

Last Monday:
    Squats - 315x5x3
    Press - 165x4x3
    BP - 245x4x3

Last Thurs:
    Pullups - BWx10x3
    PC - 190x5x3
    Rows - 210x5x3
    DL - 355x5x3
    Curls - 90 lbs + curling bar 10x2

I am getting fairly thick around the midsection, and could stand to lose 15 lbs at least. I can handle the cutting calorie part, but what type of workout should I do? I want to keep my workouts to twice per week. Now that the weather is a lot nicer I'll likely be more active outside as well.

Good discussion in this thread: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=30383

Personally I've gained about 30lb on my squat and bench (been taking DL easy due to injury) the last two months while losing 12lb. I lower the volume from my regular training and shot for minor PRs each workout (as in 1-3lb based on the W+((W/30)*R) formula rather than 2.5kg or 5lb jumps each time).

And it goes without saying that you need to be smart about your diet, don't try to lose too much too faster and be sensible with your cardio so it doesn't interfere with lifting.

I've been cutting weight using a routine like this:

Monday: Bench & Rows
    Tuesday: Squats
    Thursday: OHP & Weighted Chin-Up
    Friday: Deadlift

I use a reverse pyramid set/rep scheme, where I do 3-5 reps on the first set, drop 10% weight and do 4-6 reps, drop 10% weight and do 5-7 reps. So far I've dropped from 30% bodyfat to 18%, and didn't start to lose strength until I broke the 20% bodyfat mark.

You could organize the lifts differently (I think your current set-up is fine) -- the point is, just do something that keeps weight on the bar. Workout out 2x per week would be fine, from what I've read.

Leangains protocol?

Yeah, Leangains is where I got most of the inspiration for the routine. I have to say it works pretty well for cutting.

I've been using it for my diet too. But running a full body template setup like this:

D1: Squat 3-5 reps, Bench 3-5 reps, weighted chins 3-6 reps
    D3: Bench 6-8 reps, deadlift 3-5 reps (been doing paused DLs), BW chins 3-4 sets, squat assist (lunges 2-3 sets of 10-15)
    D5: SSB Squat 6-8 reps, bench assist (shoulder/chest exercise 2-3 sets of 10-15), DL assist(SLDL/GM for 2-3 sets of 10-15)

Mostly working up to a rep max within the range with one backoff set minus 5-10%, same # of reps. Lighter weights for the assistance stuff.

Seems to be working well. Looking forward to eating to gain weight again though...

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Wife says I am starting to look too square (like spongebob), and that I look a lot better slimmer, but still muscular. I'm 5'9" -220lbs. I will start cutting back on my calorie intake, and would like a workout recommendation while cutting calories. I know I will lose some strength, but obviously like to keep as much as possible.

I currently work out twice a week (Monday/Thursday) due to work and a busy family life, and have been following a linear type workout.

Last Monday:
    Squats - 315x5x3
    Press - 165x4x3
    BP - 245x4x3

Last Thurs:
    Pullups - BWx10x3
    PC - 190x5x3
    Rows - 210x5x3
    DL - 355x5x3
    Curls - 90 lbs + curling bar 10x2

I am getting fairly thick around the midsection, and could stand to lose 15 lbs at least. I can handle the cutting calorie part, but what type of workout should I do? I want to keep my workouts to twice per week. Now that the weather is a lot nicer I'll likely be more active outside as well.
    Weight Loss Resistance Program

You need to perform a metabolic training program. That means you need to increase you repetitions and shorten you rest period between sets.

Squat Example:

1) 8-12 Repetitions X 3-5 sets

2) Rest Periods of 30 - 60 seconds between sets.

3) You heart rate need to spike above 75% of heart rate max for short periods. Pushing it into the 90% of heart rate max is even better.

You entire workout should be performed in this manner.

Excess Post Oxygen Consumpiton, EPOC

Peforming you exercises in this manner, elevate you metabolism for hour after you workout.

You and I are at about the same strnegth level, but I am far more obese. I started active, disciplined weight loss in October at 341 pounds and am now about 255. I have about another 30-40 pounds of fat to lose.

Because I wanted to lose a lot of bodyfat over a long 12 month period, I prioritized maintining my lifts and getting stronger over quick fat loss. To do so, I did not do any "cardio" or other conditioning. Why? Because of a fear of the body jettisoning muscle to accomplish the goals of cardio training. The body has a real tough time serving two masters (strnegth gain v. cardio queen/king) so no treadmills, bikes, prolwers or other conditing tools for me.

Instead I just do Starting Strength, adding weight whenever possible. I run pure Starting Strength: workout A plus latpulldowns follwoed by workout B plus bicep curls. Repeat, three days per week. Notwithstanding my weight loss, my lifts have gone up very slightly slightly, although the press and the squat have been most problematic and very slow.

Instead of microloading, I go up by five pounds and do five sets of three reps until I feel prepared to do three sets of five reps. Then I do three sets of five reps once more, then put another five pounds on and repeat. This has allowed me to add weight to the bar in almost all instances, albeit very slowly.

Once I reduce my bodyfat level enough (probably by Oct 2012) I intend to slowly reintroduce carbohydrates to create an anabolic environment. Until then, I am more or less satisfied with the above exercises, reps and sets to maintain and slowly gain strength while losing fat.

Kenny's post about EPOC is very good. I disagree with his specifics, however. I have kept my reps to 5 because I am fearful of losing strong powerful muscle and strength to smaller more endurance based muscles. Also, because I have prioritized keeping my strnegth, my rests are timed and always between 3 and five minutes per set. Notwithstanding this seemingly slower pace, my body temperature really heats up, I sweat like a pig and I am confident that my EPOC is sky high based on how "dewy" I am more than one hour later. This may be because I am on a ketogenic diet and my body needs more time to run the biologic processes necessary to turn fat into anaerobic enrgy source for the muscles.

I have had great fat loss success on a ketogenic diet, but I do not think it is the best diet for increasing strnegth or other athletic performance (although, I have not tested this theory, it may be a good diet for long slow distance athletes - dunno, just spitballin).
    Last edited by FatButWeak; 05-14-2012 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Croxdale View Post
    Weight Loss Resistance Program

You need to perform a metabolic training program. That means you need to increase you repetitions and shorten you rest period between sets.

Squat Example:

1) 8-12 Repetitions X 3-5 sets

2) Rest Periods of 30 - 60 seconds between sets.

3) You heart rate need to spike above 75% of heart rate max for short periods. Pushing it into the 90% of heart rate max is even better.

You entire workout should be performed in this manner.

Excess Post Oxygen Consumpiton, EPOC

Peforming you exercises in this manner, elevate you metabolism for hour after you workout.
    8-12 reps for 3-5 sets...where have we heard that before?

IMO short and intense is WAY better when cutting calories. You cannot maintain the energy to do 3-5 sets of 8-12 reps when you are cutting calories.

Go for 3 sets of 3-5 and keep it short and intense.

P.s- performing your exercises in this manner will also elevate your metabolism, just like any resistance exercise you perform.

starting strength coach development program
    Like much of the advice here, I support cutting volume while trying to keep the intensity high. Maybe instead of doing 3x5, you will hit only 1 top set of 5. Maybe 4-5 sets ramped up to that final set of 5. This is especially true for the big lifts (squats, DLs, bench, press). Power cleans aren't as taxing IMO due the lack of eccentric movement.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast