starting strength gym

Thread: Interested in Texas method, never did SS.

Default Interested in Texas method, never did SS.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Question: never did ss wondering if I am a novice , advance novice, or intermediate. Could I get anything out of ss even at my level of training.
    Me: 24, male, 190

Recent personal best:
    Squat: 390x1
    DL: 405x1
    OHP: 170x3
    BP: 255x1
    Clean: 0x0

Lifting history: started at 246 lb 18 year oldwith upper body machines and shit load of cycling 5-6 days a week. Did this for about 6 months untill I joined a gym with power lifters. learning bench and squat. I took up big beyond belief by Leo costa. I was at the point in the program where I was squating heavy everyday before I gave up on it after getting my squat to 365 for 5(Grindy and if I remember right full of good morningness.) after that I did a bunch of body building bullshit with split body parts and upper lower. Not really progressing and just fucking around. Then I did cult fit, got decent conditioning. Fast forward to the lean gain scene and chasing gaythetics , I kept it simple learning the deadlift, benching, and squating. 3 days a week. Progressively loading the lifts but eating like a bitch even during the big meals on lifting days. Finally I did 3 cycles of 5/3/1 but decided that I really like to squat and want to do it every time I train so as of currently I have just been auto regulating my training. Squating 3 days a week with one light squat session at the end of the week with a heavy deadlift and either pressing or bench pressing. I usually go for a training max followed by back off sets for volume. Accessories is just chins or pulls ups/face pulls. It's working but I can only keep this up so long(I feel at some point it's promoting ego lifting and greedy lifting) want to be strong as bull since I have never looked at training as strength training but looked at it from a bodybuilding perspective always worrying about looks and my weight. I wonder if I can squeeze anything out of ss and eventually move onto Texas method as I feel it fits my style.

Thank for your time.
    P.s sorry for the format typing from a phone.
    P.s I do own practical programming.

it is impossible for us to know if you are a novice, intermediate, etc., with that information

it's possible that you are still capable of making workout-to-workout gains

try SS, and run it through one reset... then move on to TM

My guess is you will be able to run SS shorter than someone who is untrained. (Pretty obvious) Like Steve said, give SS a try. Maybe one reset and then move on to TM. I'd also say that starting with TM right away wouldn't be BAD. You just wouldn't make gains as quickly as you could with a 3x5 program. You may be a good candidate for advanced novice so you add 10 lbs per week to your squat.