starting strength gym
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: My 5/3/1 Variation (Karl's Method)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I keep it to an hour! I say lots, i mean three or four.

Last edited by Meshuggah; 04-10-2013 at 01:07 PM.

None of my lifts are particularly impressive, but they've all gone up over 8 weeks of the 5/1. You should have written that e-book. There's still time.

Another guy here giving 5/1 a shot with 5x5 assistance. After breaking down the number of prescribed working reps (amrap not included) for each of the main programs over a 4 week period, I noticed the jump from madcow (my last program) to 5/3/1 was huge - 96 for madcow, only 33 for 5/3/1. 5/1 is a better compromise at 48. This number also suggests there is wiggle room for amrap sets.

Hmm interesting. Even with 2 workouts per week vs one for squats/bench? 5/1 definitely has more deadlifting though.

Well, I guess I'll post results. I'm not using 70% yet for assistance, closer to 60. Maybe I'll stick with that for now.
    The longer gap between each exercise (7 days vs 3/4) may offset the tonnage increase, we'll see.
    Last edited by WeightsAreHeavy; 04-11-2013 at 12:35 AM.

Posting in a 5/1 thread to bump the program.

I'm only on my 4th week of it (end of 2nd cycle) so its hard to judge gains/progress yet. But I do enjoy my gym sessions much more than I had been with the Texas Method.

Karl isn't doing the extra assistance exercises as hsilman and I are, but hes putting up more weight. I'm of the opinion that assistance exercises are optional...if I skip/forget them, I doubt I'll see any difference in progress. Assistance exercises are for fun. I would recommend doing Chins/Pull-ups at least though, because the 4 Main lifts do not put much emphasis on Lats and biceps. Also Wendler recommends Pulling movements to equal Pushing movements, which makes sense if for no other reason than a healthy muscle balance.

As for running it 3 days a week, another option would be to do something like

Monday: OHP
    Wednesday: Deadlift
    Friday: Bench

Monday: Squat
    Wednesday: OHP
    Friday: Deadlift

Monday: Bench
    Wednesday: Squat
    Friday: OHP

etc.

Edit: I did not like the lack of Squatting, compared to having been doing it 3 times a week before, so I made a lighter set as my assistance work for Deadlifts day, so now I squat twice a week and am happy with that set-up
    Last edited by aucran; 04-11-2013 at 12:51 AM.

Yeah I see combining 2 lifts into one day an absolute must.

I combine deadlift and bench (today's workout) since bench is by far the easiest lift.

Pressing overhead was an issue for me when I did it with deadlift and that has been solved by giving it its own day.

Sat: squat
    Monday: press/rows
    Wed: deadlift/ bench

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Pressing overhead was an issue for me when I did it with deadlift and that has been solved by giving it its own day.
    I solved this by pressing before deadlifting. Press version 2.0 requires a lot of abdominal (I almost said "core) strength, and those muscles can be quite tired after deadlifts. So, I flipped the order.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    I solved this by pressing before deadlifting. Press version 2.0 requires a lot of abdominal (I almost said "core) strength, and those muscles can be quite tired after deadlifts. So, I flipped the order.
    Pressing before DeadLifting is just common sense.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Pressing before DeadLifting is just common sense.
    Well, I'm a little slow sometimes.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast