starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So many intermediate programs to chose from...

Default So many intermediate programs to chose from...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm not even close to exhausting SSLP yet (just reset several lifts b/c of technique/depth issues), but I've been reading PPST, Andy's posts, and random threads around here on intermediate programming. For now, my primary goal is getting to 5/4/3/2 on the main lifts; getting swole the second goal. I walked around at a measly 130lb (at 6'1") till I was around 25 (30 now), and now I'm pretty much set on hitting 230lb (187lb current). Then I can wear a shirt that says, "I gained 100lbs, ask me how."

The main programs I've seen are:
    - 3 day Texas Method
    - 4 day Texas Method (2 lower, 2 upper)
    - HLM Andy Baker
    - GSLP Strength Bias via Jordan Feigenbaum

I have zero interests in competing, and don't like the idea of TM 5x5's because of how long the session would last. 3x5 already takes me long enough as it is. HLM Baker-style looks enticing, but so does Jordan-GSLP. I don't want to do anything that involves RPE training. Given my goals of hitting 5/4/3/2 on the main lifts eventually, and getting swole, what program do y'all think I should consider moving towards in a couple months? I plan on gaining 1lb/week till the year is out, and I'm on TRT so recovery shouldn't be an issue.

Intermediate programming is a lot of fun. You are no longer bound by cookie cutter programs, and can design a program that works for you. You have enough experience to know what you want and can begin learning how to make it happen. You can futz around with different programs, especially if you aren't interested in competing. As long as you're consistent and train hard, all of your numbers will go up with time.

And now you can do a whole ton of exercises, and drop the ones you don't like. If you want to make a short program using only front squats, presses, and deadlifts - you can.

All of the programs you listed will work. I would recommend spending about 8-12 weeks on a single program, to really give it time to see how it works. Take very detailed notes on your lifting and progress, so you can construct your own program when you need to. Sorry I don't have a specific recommendation (I have lots, actually, just not the ones you mentioned per se).

Have fun and get strong!

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    If John Hanley wants to make a short program using only front squats, presses, and snatch grip deadlifts - he can.
    ftfy, E.

---
    But I agree with Chebass. The fun (and also downside) to intermediate programming is that you aren't doing a cookie cutter program. I do notice that you haven't included 5/3/1 in your list of programs... properly modified, I think 5/3/1 can work well for intermediate lifters.

Thanks for the response. I have a history of getting "paralysis by analysis", so it would be good for me to make up my mind early on exactly what I'm going to do and stick with it for a period of time; 3 months seems reasonable. Otherwise I'll just end up reading everything out there and constantly program hopping looking for the holy grail that gets me strong and swole without gaining an ounce of fat in the process :P

Whatever I decide on, I'll keep a close watch on strength gained, as well as measurement growth.

EDIT - I've ran 5/3/1 in the past when I was a dumb novice. For now, I think I need regular weekly exposure to heavy weights.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    I'm not even close to exhausting SSLP yet (just reset several lifts b/c of technique/depth issues), but I've been reading PPST, Andy's posts, and random threads around here on intermediate programming. For now, my primary goal is getting to 5/4/3/2 on the main lifts; getting swole the second goal. I walked around at a measly 130lb (at 6'1") till I was around 25 (30 now), and now I'm pretty much set on hitting 230lb (187lb current). Then I can wear a shirt that says, "I gained 100lbs, ask me how."

The main programs I've seen are:
    - 3 day Texas Method
    - 4 day Texas Method (2 lower, 2 upper)
    - HLM Andy Baker
    - GSLP Strength Bias via Jordan Feigenbaum

I have zero interests in competing, and don't like the idea of TM 5x5's because of how long the session would last. 3x5 already takes me long enough as it is. HLM Baker-style looks enticing, but so does Jordan-GSLP. I don't want to do anything that involves RPE training. Given my goals of hitting 5/4/3/2 on the main lifts eventually, and getting swole, what program do y'all think I should consider moving towards in a couple months? I plan on gaining 1lb/week till the year is out, and I'm on TRT so recovery shouldn't be an issue.
    I really like the idea of HLM with a different squat variation on each of the 3 squat days. I think Andy has such a template somewhere.

I'm also considering programs. I would love if an intermediate program had a good app. I hate to be trivial but for all the fault with 5-3-1 and 5x5, they both have great apps which show graphs of your lifts' progress, your volume on a trend line, and they tell you what weight to put on the bar and when to lift what. It's stupid simple and adjustable. Again, I hate to be petty but I have limited will-power to get my lazy self under the bar and whatever willpower I can free up by making tracking and scheduling easy saves more for the actual lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    I really like the idea of HLM with a different squat variation on each of the 3 squat days. I think Andy has such a template somewhere.
    I've read that article. I think it was on his blog. I'm not bored yet, but Andy's HLM will be seriously considered once I get sick of doing the same 5 lifts all time.

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    ftfy, E.
    At my most radically minimalist, it was just snatch grip deads and presses.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    I've read that article. I think it was on his blog. I'm not bored yet, but Andy's HLM will be seriously considered once I get sick of doing the same 5 lifts all time.
    Yeah. It's a good program.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamal View Post
    I'm also considering programs. I would love if an intermediate program had a good app. I hate to be trivial but for all the fault with 5-3-1 and 5x5, they both have great apps which show graphs of your lifts' progress, your volume on a trend line, and they tell you what weight to put on the bar and when to lift what. It's stupid simple and adjustable. Again, I hate to be petty but I have limited will-power to get my lazy self under the bar and whatever willpower I can free up by making tracking and scheduling easy saves more for the actual lifts.
    I use an app called "Strong" on my iphone, not sure if it's available for android but it's great. It does everything you mention above except of course planning your program and telling you what weights to use but it's great because you can design your own routine and keep using it regardless of what program you're currently on. That means that it keeps all your training history and PRs in one app so it's easy to see what you did when and which programs worked well, etc.

Something like HLM is much simpler to plan your weights than 5-3-1, as your main lift is progressing linearly on a weekly basis and the other days are just a percentage of that weight (or a linear progression of a lighter variant). When I did 5-3-1 I used a calculator app to get my weights but I still recorded everything in Strong.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamal View Post
    I hate to be trivial but for all the fault with 5-3-1 and 5x5, they both have great apps which show graphs of your lifts' progress, your volume on a trend line, and they tell you what weight to put on the bar and when to lift what. It's stupid simple and adjustable. Again, I hate to be petty but I have limited will-power to get my lazy self under the bar and whatever willpower I can free up by making tracking and scheduling easy saves more for the actual lifts.
    There seems to be a lot of hate for 531 on these boards (Hello Jordan!). But, for the life of me I can't figure out why. Its a strong long term intermediate program. (I am on my 40th cycle - so 160 weeks). The key is to know how to tweak it. If you're an early intermediate: On squats and press, drop the AMRAP and do sets across; squat twice a week (a 531 day and a mediumish 3x5 day) and adjust from there.

Now, I am a simple man. I don't like a ton of accessory lifts. I don't want to look like a body builder. I don't want to train more than 3 days a week. I like to pull from the floor once a week. I prefer to limit volume as much as possible while still making progress. I don't have the money for a coach. I have a disdain for complexities. I believe that if I can do something in 30 minutes with the same results that I would get from 60 minutes the 30 minute approach is better. I don't care about 1 month's progress, I care about 12 months of progress.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast